Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

On my layout I have a bit of land on a hill overlooking the main town that I was always thinking about being the area where the Affluent lived.

As such I had some ideas to have some gated Victorian type houses up there with there beautiful gardens and trimmed Bushes lining the walkways, looking glasses and such!

For the start of this affluent area I had 2 kits on hand that can commonly be had and fit the Victorian theam, but for the main house that will be seen the most I wanted something different, but that night after pulling my Beard for a while I came up with nothing.

The next day however I had a very very scary thought!

I recalled seing on line a year before a kit in HO that would fit my plan to the Tee,so I bought one .

As seen on TV in the 60s this house was a scary eye sore to say the least, but I will build it pristine .

I think this is as different as I could get in HO scale, and yes the street these homes will be on will be 1313 Mockingbird Ln, Lol!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
Cleaned up, that should be a magnificent Victorian mansion.

·
Moderator Torpedo Emeritus
3,016 Posts
Excellent idea, and would like to see the finished product, even though I am not into H.O.. it’s fun to see different ideas built into layouts. :appl::appl:

·
Registered
423 Posts
Love it....it would be a conversation starter.

A few years ago I came across the Bates house (psycho) in 1/87. I am still kicking myself for not buying it.....
0037A139-33CF-420F-B655-DBF8DEE13B82_1565842200544.png

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have 2 of those Bate's kits and man am I happy I had a few less dinners that Month to pay for buying 2 of them while they where around !
That Bates kit sitting on my kit shelf was the number 1 pick for my use in this project until I recalled seing these 1313 Mockingbird Lane kits.

Thanks for the film trivia, boy did that jar my mind in a good way at this time of the morning!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi all!
Here's some pictures of the start of the build / rework of the kit for you.

The roof shingles are rendered poorly so I will grind them off to apply far better looking ones.

If they had looked atleast as good as the ones on the ever popular Atlas Station kit roof or there gate tower kit I may have kept them as is, but as you can see in the photo there pretty bad!

The left hand roof section in the photo has been ground flat .

The next thing I want to improve on are the far too wide Window Muilions.
I will see what I can about getting atleast all the ones remade on the Windows that will be seen at the property site.

I have not put much though yet into colors to pain the house in, but luckily there are many gorgeous Victorian homes in my area that I will take some photo's of to get a feel of what can work best for the build.

Attachments

·
Registered
226 Posts
That's awesome!

I'm on a similar mission in N scale so will definitely be following your progress. What a great find!
Now you need a Munster's coach to park out front!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lol! I built and painted that Revell kit of there custom car really nice when I was a kit , and then when I got a BB gun I shot it full of holes just like a dumb kid would on a boring Summer day.

I which I still had most of those kits I built , especially the Sunmarine Seaview if you recall that one from that late 60s TV show?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi all!

So here's where I am starting of.

On the front of the house only I will replace a fair amount of the window Mullions with ones cut from my stock of these Grandt line Windows, and others I will just need to cut from strip stock that I still need to get.

The kits good looking Chimney unfortunately has no Brick detain it so that needs to relocate to the circular file Can as does the TV antenna.

I also want to change the sad face in the roof stand off above the front door ( what is that called on these and other houses?). to a smile and I think I have figured a way to get the done, fingers crossed here on that!

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well Summer is cooling down so it's back to modeling!

Here's some shots where I have started to get the windows to look better and boy it ain't easy getting those cut out sections of better scaled windows glued back in !

I had to use more super glue then I thought I would so now I have to file out the excess from each 90 degree Conor before I prime the walls with the light gray that I have used on the foundation bricks.

I have spent a fair amount of time driving around and looking at Victorian homes in the area and many have there porch floors painted a green so that my color pick for that area of the kit build.

I have not settled on any other colors yet but for the light gray primer I have been spraying on to be the main base color for everything.

Attachments

·
Registered
499 Posts
I'm curious as to why you are using super glue instead of plastic model glue. It is looking very nice.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I only had Testirs plastic glue in the bottle on hand and I could not in 4 attempts get a bond to happen as strange as it sounds so it switched to the super glue.

I have some Tenx on order that I hope works better, if not it must be something with the make up of the plastic in this China made kit I would guess and I will have to roll with the super glue and the added work that it makes!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So I think I have settled on using these 3 main colors plus White in places .

Light tan , Purple and Sky Blue.

The Purple and Blue are a gloss enamel so the whole structure will need a top coat of flat clear which I may have a issue with if it covers too much detail as the enamel is kinda thick all on its own!

I guess I will try it on some scrap plastic that I scratch some lines in and if it does not pass the test I will reluctantly mix my own flat of those two colors.

Attachments

·
Registered
499 Posts
I only had Testirs plastic glue in the bottle on hand and I could not in 4 attempts get a bond to happen as strange as it sounds so it switched to the super glue.

I have some Tenx on order that I hope works better, if not it must be something with the make up of the plastic in this China made kit I would guess and I will have to roll with the super glue and the added work that it makes!
Oh, ok! Thank you!

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
I have found that for the Testors cement in the bottles to work properly the joint needs to be pretty tight before gluing. For less than perfect joints I prefer the Testors tube type cement. Just be sure to apply it sparingly as it doesn't take much.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts