Model Train Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Yes, I have found the same thing , it's just that it's setting time is so slow even when used sparingly that I get impatient.

When I do have the time to sit down and build I most times need to go fast, so at that point it's super glue and accellerent time for me!

I wish there could be such a thing to speed up the curing of the Testors in the tube, but I have never heard of such.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Getting back to it again here over the weekend.

Moving along with the front side window rework which is time consuming as it seems to take me some 35 minutes each to get them done and looking acceptable!

I also need to get better White paint that covers in only 2 coats as it's taking me 3 coats to get the windows looking good which is more time then I would like to spend on doing that, oh where oh where has Floquil gone?

Until I get all the windows painted I can't apply my main wall color which will be a middle tone Gray.

The arrow points to the modified upper windows compared to the ones in the wall on the left.

On my next post I should have some subassembly done I hope.

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Thanks for the kind words Cole!

I started to use my Testors flat enamel white on the windows last night and it covers atleast a little better, but is a bit thicker then the folk art brand paint I was using and nothing Tee's me off more then when paint starts to cover up details!

In hind site I should have just spray primed near everything White and not the tan that I did.
Lesson learned....again!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
Hi there folks , how are ya all?

Here's a update on the build here.

Just for this photo I taped together some of the front wall sections that I have near to being all done.

They all still need some touch up's in terms of painting and the entrance wall under the front porch is not even painted at all yet due to the rework of the upper peak I am doing and the foundation brick work is not painted and weathered yet.

That peak ( whatever it's really called on these types of houses ) with the sad face in it as cast in the kit could not say in my build ( it has to be a happy face) and I really like the looks of how the real one was not only resessed, but notched back around its inside perimeter and that's the way I am reworking mine as you can see from the missing face if you reference my previous photo's.

I need to get more roofing material later in the week and the house should go together fast at that point.

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I have made a but more progress on the kit to report to you folks on.

The foundation of the kit had some pretty good gaps between section so I have filled those in with Durhams water putty and then sanded and carved back in the needed brick detail and next comes the repaint of the brick and the upper foundation line.

The very upper roof sections that I am re-doing in Fishscale shingles is coming along but slowly.

One big thing I still need to do is to figure out what chimney's I will use and where they will go such that the make sense to the function of the house without killing its looks.

On big strange thing I do not like about the kit is that it has no rear or side door.
I think what I will do is build out a small covered porch in front of one of the rear windows that is on a narrow wall section by means of a false wall that will have a big double door of mostly glass in it as if it was coming off the kitchen .
Off of this porch I will add a patio when I get around to placing it on the layout.

The broken window on the front lower left will become a repair job for a HO scale work crew once the house is inplace.

As a side note I found that if your very carefull with Testors dull coat even though it's a Laquer paint you can spray it over a Enamel if you build up serveral light coats at a time with enough drying time inbewteen coats.

Attachments

·
Registered
254 Posts
Love it....it would be a conversation starter.

A few years ago I came across the Bates house (psycho) in 1/87. I am still kicking myself for not buying it.....
View attachment 505680

Just FYI you can still get the Bates house in HO 1/87. I run across them quite often on eBay when browsing. There is one on Etsy right now already built for $29.00 free shipping. 👍

·
Registered
254 Posts
I have made a but more progress on the kit to report to you folks on.

The foundation of the kit had some pretty good gaps between section so I have filled those in with Durhams water putty and then sanded and carved back in the needed brick detail and next comes the repaint of the brick and the upper foundation line.

The very upper roof sections that I am re-doing in Fishscale shingles is coming along but slowly.

One big thing I still need to do is to figure out what chimney's I will use and where they will go such that the make sense to the function of the house without killing its looks.

On big strange thing I do not like about the kit is that it has no rear or side door.
I think what I will do is build out a small covered porch in front of one of the rear windows that is on a narrow wall section by means of a false wall that will have a big double door of mostly glass in it as if it was coming off the kitchen .
Off of this porch I will add a patio when I get around to placing it on the layout.

The broken window on the front lower left will become a repair job for a HO scale work crew once the house is inplace.

As a side note I found that if your very carefull with Testors dull coat even though it's a Laquer paint you can spray it over a Enamel if you build up serveral light coats at a time with enough drying time inbewteen coats.
Speaking of scary this very house already built is for sale at $358.00 on Etsy! 😮👻

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Hi there Mark and thanks for the info !
As it happens I already have 2 of the Polar lights Bates kits sitting on my shelf now for 3 years waiting for the construction crew to show up so to speak, lol!

·
Registered
254 Posts
Hi there Mark and thanks for the info !
As it happens I already have 2 of the Polar lights Bates kits sitting on my shelf now for 3 years waiting for the construction crew to show up so to speak, lol!
Hey Steve, I was actually replying to Andreash about the kit of the bates house he wish he had bought some time back. ��

I was giving him a heads up that the model is still around here and there. Your progress looks great! You may just inspire me to get a kit. I thought about it a few times as I have seen them here and there.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
For any of you who may purchase and build this kit please make note that the Tower walls parts 14 and 15 have there numbers molded in them reversed, i.e. Part 14 is part 15.

Sorry I ment to post this info weeks ago but keep forgetting, and who knows maybe it was not more then 1 production run of kits that when out the door this way and is now corrected , but you will know if it's wrong when you get to that build point for sure!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Hi all!
Another thing I have been meaning to post about what took place with this build is with the painting of it.

Here's a warning, and a word to the wise!

I was not thinking when I was paint shopping and for a base coat color / primer I used a Testors spray can of a color that as it turns out they do not offer in one of there small bottles, and this made doing touch up's a pain in Butt!
It took me near 1.5 hours to mix up a touch up color that matched good enough to use.

Keep this in mind folks!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Ok, so for the most part the kit is done but for some weathering to the roof after finally settling on what chimney's I will use and where they will go along with some details on the front porch and a weather vain on the high roof's peak.
After that the landscaper's pull up and dig in!

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Thanks for your kind words!
I learned and relearned I few things along the way with this kit in regards to the paint that I posted about and then this, read the instructions!

I had a good part of the model glued to its base and then in the assembly process needed to get the long right side of the mid roof in place that runs front to rear on the kit.
I could not get it inplace without cutting loose most of one of the walls from the base and then also notching 2 of the locating tabs on that long roof section.

Of course after I found this problem and referenced the instructions it stated very clearly what the assembly procedure should be.

Yes, it was slap the forehead time for me, lol!

21 - 35 of 35 Posts