Model Train Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m thinking about possibly building a 4x4 ho scale layout for a friends son and doing all the scenery on it and possibly adding buildings to it. If I decided to go that route would anyone be interested in me making a thread on how I did it. Including measurements and all to make your own? Granted most modelers have done their own layouts and already know most of the different techniques so I guess this would be geared more for the new modelers but if so let me know and When I do it I’ll go ahead and make a thread under layout construction

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm always interested in watching how others approach the hobby. I say yes, start a build thread!

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok. I’ll start one when I get Going on it. Keep an eye open for it within the next month or two

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My buddy doesn’t know about it yet but his kid is going to get one. He always wants to come run trains on my layout which is still under construction but I figure I have my whole life to finish mine he may not be into the hobby if he doesn’t get the little nudge to decide

·
Registered
555 Posts
This is a link to my first layout that was 40"x4'. I have a build thread on it under my profile:

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
He will only be running stuff like a gp or a u boat. Maybe a small steamer like an 0-6-0 and as far as rolling stock I would say maybe a hopper car would be as big as he has. He doesn’t have any passenger cars or any of that and he will have it in his room so there isn’t any room for a 4x8 or anything bigger than that

·
Registered
9,893 Posts
He will only be running stuff like a gp or a u boat. Maybe a small steamer like an 0-6-0 and as far as rolling stock I would say maybe a hopper car would be as big as he has. He doesn’t have any passenger cars or any of that and he will have it in his room so there isn’t any room for a 4x8 or anything bigger than that
My recommendation would be to include at least one spur or siding that thst could later be adapted to connect to another module. That way, if the bug DOES bite, your little layout can become a treasured part of something greater, rather than a dust collector.

Great idea, though!

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Sounds good

I’m thinking about possibly building a 4x4 ho scale layout for a friends son and doing all the scenery on it and possibly adding buildings to it. If I decided to go that route would anyone be interested in me making a thread on how I did it. Including measurements and all to make your own? Granted most modelers have done their own layouts and already know most of the different techniques so I guess this would be geared more for the new modelers but if so let me know and When I do it I’ll go ahead and make a thread under layout construction

Jscullans;

Your idea sounds great! You will make that boy very happy! Yes, I'd be interested in seeing here how you built it. That's a very small layout. I don't suppose you can increase the dimensions due to space limits in the boy's home. How old is he? Do you think he could handle N-scale? That would help with the 4'x4' size limit, though even going down a scale won't allow much more than a simple circle and maybe a siding or two. I second CTValley's suggestion to let a siding run off the edge for further expansion.

Looking forward to seeing your thread;

Traction Fan :smilie_daumenpos:

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
He is 5 so I’m going to think that he likely won’t be able to do n scale without destroying it completely. N scale would make more sense but at the end of the day I’m also not charging for any of this so I would rather do this with stuff I have sitting around. I’ll talk to his dad about it before I go and do it but I think he will go for it. It’s like any hobby you have interest in. If you have no ability to make it happen or the means to do so sometimes you just need a little help to get it going and then you’re stuck

·
Registered
258 Posts
He is 5 so I’m going to think that he likely won’t be able to do n scale without destroying it completely. N scale would make more sense but at the end of the day I’m also not charging for any of this so I would rather do this with stuff I have sitting around. I’ll talk to his dad about it before I go and do it but I think he will go for it. It’s like any hobby you have interest in. If you have no ability to make it happen or the means to do so sometimes you just need a little help to get it going and then you’re stuck
I think what you’re doing is great. I wish my dad had a friend like you when I was a kid! I always wanted a layout as a kid but we lived in a tiny apartment so it was out of the question. My dad was definitely not capable of building anything like that anyway. I got my start late into the hobby because of that. Giving him this gift will probably lead to a lifelong member of the hobby! Great idea!

·
Registered
514 Posts

well personally i would let him use unitrack and let him create or edit the track plan but DO NOT USE E-Z TRACK after a few edits it starts to not work anymore. scenery i would pick up some cheap woodland senics trees also some big buildings also i second CTVRR's siding idea so it is not just a oval and it has some playablity

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have been trying to come up with a track plan for an oval and I’m honestly having issues with it. Hard to make a fun layout on such a small space. What I may do is put a couple turnouts in so it goes through the middle of the layout. I’m gonna have to play around with the way I want to configure the track before I start building

1 - 14 of 14 Posts