Model Train Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

Running 2 wires for my bus, and feeding the feeders in with scotchlok suitcase connectors. Made a mistake and inserted the wrong feeder in one of them. Didnt realize until after I clamped down the metal piece. Was easily able to pull out the track feeder wire, but not the bus wire. Will leaving a scotchlok connector on a bus wire with no feeder attached be a problem?

My electrical skills are extremely low.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I am using 16 gauge wire with 22 gauge kato feeder wire. Made sure to get connectors that fit each. Took a bit of pulling to get feeder out. End of it was stripped after coming out, so I'm sure the connection was ok.

·
Super Moderator
3,016 Posts
If I’m not mistaken, Scothlok are for 18-22 ga. And not for 16 ga..

·
Registered
266 Posts
The word scotchlok makes me shudder. I understand that it’s all indoors but those things fail constantly on equipment I work on so I delete them. I’ve used waytech connectors and deutch connectors to make jointed connections. More expensive but easier to troubleshoot and exponentially more reliable

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Considering that the crimp was already squeezed tight and the wire nicked, I would leave it connected. Some people have used these for years, but I'm like Jscullans, they damage the wire and much better alternatives exist.

·
Registered
266 Posts
A guy I work with got fired for having those in his electrical kit. He used 1 and lost his job over it. Those things are strictly forbidden for me to use 😳

1 - 12 of 12 Posts