Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Yard Master & Research
10,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is a Lionel beginner set engine so if you have one please post it running or not.
A picture if you can. Past experience is allowed too. Even if you cannot remember the number,give a year.
These engines are steamers 4 wheel drive, They may be 0-4-0, 2-4-0, 2-4-2, 4-4-2. These are the common configurations. Internally they can vary a lot, after all the have been made for over 70 years.
Steam Switchers? Since they have a common engine, sure post it, the 1615 coners to mind.

So where is yours??? How long has it been since you have seen, or run it?

Time for attendance

Left to right
246 -plastic shell
250 plastic
239 cast
1060 plastic shell-engine in shop
1061 plastic
1062 plastic

1130 plastic
2034 cast
8604 cast
8632 cast
8903 plastic

Attachments

·
Yard Master & Research
10,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yes the Lionel starter sets have them. They are like the 8632, Cast shell with a DC motor and an electronic e unit for AC transformers. The boxes normally state "cast"

A Scout was a starter engine but all of these are so similiar only a few were sold as Scouts.
Some have plastic motors, others are DC, or the AC standard. All are 4 wheel drive. They vary with smoke, reverse, lights, and leading and trailing wheels.

·
Premium Member
16,666 Posts
:smilie_daumenpos: (<=== Notice that I "discovered" the gucci emoti-thingies!)

I don't have my book in front of me ... Did that 250 come with handrails, or did you add those?

Funny thing I learned this afternoon ...

My damaged 233 Scout shell is black paint on a multi-colored plastic. But the 246 Scout shell is black plastic throughout ... no paint. I was able to buff off the heat-stamped "246" numbers and get down to "virgin" black plastic. I'm happy, 'cause I don't think I'll have to repaint this shell. A little Armor All should clean it up OK.

Ohh ...

... And always obey the Rules of the Pack!

TJ

·
Registered
232 Posts
Cool!! Here is my original 1060 Scout set that I got for my 1st Christmas. I'm visiting my folks right now and they still have the set along with the complete PlasticVille houses and trailers. (Not shown. These are some Walmart cookie tins)

No...they won't let me take it home.:(

Attachments

·
Yard Master & Research
10,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Epoxy Time

Looks Good! I am sure there are more out there.

My 1060 had some broken pin mounts. Good ole Epoxy. I set the hole with a smooth end of a drill bit oiled and filled around it.

Attachments

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,033 Posts
You all thought I was kidding when I posted this picture of the T man when he was a kid.:D

Look at the gleam in his eyes.:laugh:

Someone is approaching him with a big box of old Lionel and a big tube of epoxy.:D

3089247513_cf4e75c7aa.jpg

·
Premium Member
16,666 Posts
T-Man,

Clever use of the washer glued to the end of the epoxy repair ... nice reinforcement.

I put my 233 back together today. All cleaned up (with stolen 246 shell) and running smoothly. I pulled out the dual e-unit drums, brushes, and springs ... got 'em all nice and clean. The Greenberg manual was quite helpful in having me make sure that I put the drum "gears" and springs all back in the right position.

OK ... a "still a newbie" dumb question. What goes into the Scout smoke generators? Smoke pellets or smoke oil? Can one mix and match?

I don't have any smoke pellets (or oil). Is it OK for me to run the loco with nothing in the smoke generator? Will I risk burning it out that way?

And ...

Ya' know, Ed ... that can't be a photo of T-Man as a kid. They didn't have color cameras way back in the 1920's!

Cheers, all!

TJ

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Actually, TJ, according to Calvin's dad in "Calvin and Hobbs," the world was black and white before color TV. That is why all the TVs showed black and white pictures. I prefer this explanation to any other.:D:rolleyes:
BB

·
Premium Member
16,666 Posts
Bruce,

I am a HUGE Calvin fan. HUGE. I read his soft cover books "in the can" every day, and have the 3-volume hardcover set.

That "the world was black and white" is one of my very favorite cartoons, EVER! Completely circular and convincing in its twisted logic.

One of these days, I've gotta copy and post here the farmer one, where some poor shmuck is sittihg unknowingly in his farmhouse, while a jet plane careens out of control towards his home, a huge freight train derails towards the same spot, and an earthquake begin to split the farm in two. Love that one ...

Cheers,

TJ

·
Yard Master & Research
10,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Where? Where's the box????

TJ The smoke units I have seen are liquid, they are too small for a pellet.
I disconnect them unless you want to burn the inside off, a little.
Let me find a baby picture.

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,033 Posts
T-Man,

Clever use of the washer glued to the end of the epoxy repair ... nice reinforcement.

I put my 233 back together today. All cleaned up (with stolen 246 shell) and running smoothly. I pulled out the dual e-unit drums, brushes, and springs ... got 'em all nice and clean. The Greenberg manual was quite helpful in having me make sure that I put the drum "gears" and springs all back in the right position.

OK ... a "still a newbie" dumb question. What goes into the Scout smoke generators? Smoke pellets or smoke oil? Can one mix and match?

I don't have any smoke pellets (or oil). Is it OK for me to run the loco with nothing in the smoke generator? Will I risk burning it out that way?

And ...

Ya' know, Ed ... that can't be a photo of T-Man as a kid. They didn't have color cameras way back in the 1920's!

Cheers, all!

TJ

I don't think they made liquid when that engine came out? (early 60's?)
You can crush pellets but it should take them?

I saw somewhere that you can run liquid smoke in one's that takes pellets but, but is the part I don't remember.:D

Just to let you know TJ that I have looked through an estimated, at least 40 magazines during breaks and I did not find that engine yet.

I only got around 375 more to go through.:rolleyes:
I'm looking.:laugh:

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,033 Posts
I won a bunch of pellets on e bay, through out the years. I keep my eye open for them at a good price. Even if it's a half a bottle of tabs and the rest is powder.
Some are pulverized from age.
But a scoop of the powder works fine, smokes fine.
You just don't want to add too much.

Some of the older harder to find bottles goes for big bucks.
Even without pellets.
I also won some in junk (surprise) lots.:thumbsup:

You can easily buy some liquid smoke.:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
16,666 Posts
:confused:

Thanks for the smoke info, but I think I'm still confused :confused:

This is the type of smoke generator I have in my 233 Scout:

The 233 came out in 1961.

So, pellets or oil? Or is it not really that much of a black/white question? I will say that the hole on the "pipe" that goes up to the smokestack has a rather small diameter hole. Around 1/8", maybe.

T-Man ... OK ... I'll disconnect the generator if I'm "running dry" to avoid burning it out. They really should have put a on/off switch in the circuit, huh?

Thanks a lot, guys!

TJ

Attachments

1 - 20 of 50 Posts