Model Train Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Made these scrap metal loads for a friend. We're swapping for two K Line cabooses that he melted by letting the smoke units go dry. The first one is mostly real metal, with some plastic pieces that fit the bill mixed in. I also made some saw mill blades, both circular and band. I used some mesh sanding pads from a floor buffer to make scrap chain link fence. The second is a mixture of band saw chips mixed with rusted metal chips on a bed of masonite, and held together with urethane floor finish. I know there are many modelers who would not use anything with real metal on the layout for fear of shorts, but some of us live dangerously!

Scrap Metal Loads for Dalton 03 20 2020 001.jpg

Scrap Metal Loads for Dalton 03 20 2020 002.jpg

Scrap Metal Loads for Dalton 03 20 2020 003.jpg

Scrap Metal Loads for Dalton 03 20 2020 004.jpg

Scrap Metal Loads for Dalton 03 20 2020 005.jpg

Scrap Metal Loads for Dalton 03 20 2020 006.jpg

Scrap Metal Loads for Dalton 03 20 2020 007.jpg

Scrap Metal Loads for Dalton 03 20 2020 010.jpg

Scrap Metal Loads for Dalton 03 20 2020 013.jpg

·
Registered
4,442 Posts
My first thought was: What does the car with real metal scrap weight? Didn't even think about shorts until you mentioned it.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My first thought was: What does the car with real metal scrap weight? Didn't even think about shorts until you mentioned it.
Bob,
I would say about as much as if it was a die cast metal car. I probably have it over loaded as well. The nice thing about individual pieces, is that the load can be arranged in infinite variations.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
The cars look great. The piled scrap looks spot on.

I worked for a railroad and we had a scrap company that shipped out loads in gondolas. Many of the cars were filled with banding steel, used to bundle various goods. The scrap place chopped the bands into 10’ lengths and then overfilled the gondolas. The bands would be hanging over the sides of the gon, ready to whip an unsuspecting brakeman in the face as the car rolled by...

Tom

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The cars look great. The piled scrap looks spot on.

I worked for a railroad and we had a scrap company that shipped out loads in gondolas. Many of the cars were filled with banding steel, used to bundle various goods. The scrap place chopped the bands into 10’ lengths and then overfilled the gondolas. The bands would be hanging over the sides of the gon, ready to whip an unsuspecting brakeman in the face as the car rolled by...

Tom
Thanks Tom. I can't imagine getting hit in the face or anywhere else with a sharp piece of metal hanging over the side. Many folks don't realize the common items around the house and workplace that can be re-purposed as scrap for our trains.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I keep a gondola near or on my work area. Once I've got a full load of scrap it gets stained or painted for weather aging and out to the layout
Great idea! I've made scrap tie loads from pallet slats. When I make regular ties, I use all the ragged and broken pieces for scrap tie loads.

Used tie load 001.JPG

·
Registered
502 Posts
WORKS FOR ME HOPEFULLY

I have been saving up all of the busted beyond repair plastic & metal train car parts such as trucks, wheels, couplers, bent axels, ladders & railings etc. I plan to weather them to look like a real scrap load that is pretty much sized correctly to match the cars I do run. Some metal pieces are already rust pitted so I just may put some clear flat sealer on them to preserve the Patina.

LATER

1 - 10 of 10 Posts