Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Marklin Class P8 Tank Locomotive
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My layout started with a simple barn structure that I scratchbuilt. I wanted a rustic European type barn to use for a small scene in my layout. After my research, I decided I would start with foam sheets to build the understructure support. Hope you enjoy.

Rectangle Font Parallel Handwriting Schematic

Rectangle Textile Wood Line Material property

Rectangle Font Material property Office supplies Flooring

After cutting the base shapes out, I glued them together using Titebond Glue…It just works ALL the time!

Wood Rectangle Office supplies Audio equipment Art

I used push pins to hold the ends together while the glue dried and also used corner pieces to reinforce the stability. You also use ¼” balsa to hold these corners or sturdier pink foam.

Rectangle Wood Grey Stairs Flooring

Rectangle Wood Tints and shades Writing implement Office supplies

The pieces where originally cut square so I used a foam scraper to have them match the roof line pitch. Blocks or jigs can be used to hold the structure while the glue dries.

Packing materials Shipping box Rectangle Carton Packaging and labeling

Shipping box Wood Rectangle Art Packing materials

With the main structure dry, I cut out the opens for doors and windows and fitted the structure with balsa for the door headers. The plan is to have sliding barn doors in the front an a single door on the side. More later. Thanks for viewing!

Wood Rectangle Gas Composite material Flooring

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
This material has the appearance of rough stucco. I think your barn would be an excellent candidate for half-timbering. Especially for that rustic look.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After this, I coated the entire structure with Woodland Scenics Flex Paste. This gives the walls a plaster look and can be cut away to reveal the brick work underneath.

Automotive tire Rectangle Wood Tread Automotive design

After the paste dries, the exteriors walls are painted and various cracks are applied using an Xacto. I painted this multiple time to get the right hue and weather look.

Brown Rectangle Beige Wood Flooring

In certain areas, I wanted exposed brick. I cut away openings and replace the areas with plaster brickwork.

Wood Metal Building material Chemical compound Soil

The Flex Paste gives a nice effect of pulled away plaster.
Wood Rectangle Trunk Artifact Art

After this, I was ready to work on the roof and some more details.

Building Rectangle Wood Art Bottle

The roof was my favorite. Although VERY tedious, I was vary happy with the result. I used 1/32" balsa cut down to strips. I then glued each strip, overlapping the previous one to "shingle" the roof. I then carefully took an Xacto and textured each row of shingles.

Brown Wood Rectangle Wood stain Flooring

Several coats of stain and paint were applied to give the feeling of aged wood shingles. I added a beam and pulley and also finished up the doorways and windows.

Window Wood House Building Rectangle

On the back side I added an overhang where I wanted to have a little workbench and I also added the sliding doors. All of this was balsa and styrene.

Building Wood Window Brick House

I add this to the layout and created the scene. Here is the final photo - Thanks for looking. Always willing to share and learn!

Wheel Tire Sky Plant Vehicle

Attachments

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
Wonderful work. When I posted my suggestion I did not realize you had already completed your project.

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,785 Posts
Excellent! (y)
About how long did it take you to create that?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wonderful work. When I posted my suggestion I did not realize you had already completed your project.
Thank you. I have been thinking about that type of building for sometime, but just need to figure it into my layout.

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,785 Posts
Thank You!!. I have about 60-80 hours into this one. Much of which was trial and error to get the right look.
So at $20 bucks an hour it is worth around $1200 to $1600 bucks.
At $15 per hour $900 to $1200 bucks.
You work cheap? At $7.50 per would be worth $450 to $600.
At $5 bucks per hour it is worth $300 $400. :geek:
Put it on your insurance list. :)

Reactions: VilledeGrace

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So at $20 bucks an hour it is worth around $1200 to $1600 bucks.
At $15 per hour $900 to $1200 bucks.
You work cheap? At $7.50 per would be worth $450 to $600.
At $5 bucks per hour it is worth $300 $400. :geek:
Put it on your insurance list. :)
"Value is (sometimes) more expensive than price." —Toba Beta

·
Registered
118 Posts
Turned out very nice! I use quite a bit of Titebond III for my outside layout. It's waterproof and holds up well.

Never tried Woodland Scenics Flex Paste. I use Durham's Water Putty for that stucco look.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Turned out very nice! I use quite a bit of Titebond III for my outside layout. It's waterproof and holds up well.

Never tried Woodland Scenics Flex Paste. I use Durham's Water Putty for that stucco look.
Thanks Maddog!. I do both additive and subtractive building. Additive, where I actually make the stones rather than carve the stones. Both methods have pluses and minuses. Thanks for looking.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Thanks Maddog!. I do both additive and subtractive building. Additive, where I actually make the stones rather than carve the stones. Both methods have pluses and minuses. Thanks for looking.
That would look awesome in my Swiss village.
LOL, I just looked at your "About" I was AF as well worked with GLCM!!

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
I couldn't get a GLCM assignment. I didn't have enough TOS at the time. I would have loved to have gone to Belgium or Germany. That was my only chance to get out of the States.

Were you Minuteman or Titan?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts