Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My specialty is making plans for scratch building structures in N scale. I call them "Scratch Sketch Sets". The name came from the CAD drawing program that I use (Sketchup). A Scratch sketch set is a collection of 3d drawings, step by step assembly sketches with directions and materials, some photos, and precise printable templates in N scale. These sets make it easy to do a scratch structure of your choice.

When I first did a set of N scale plans for scratch building a structure, it was a crude collection of 3d sketches done with google's "Sketchup". The "sets" included overview sketches, dimensioned (drawn to nearest 1/64 of an inch) parts layouts, and assembly sketches. These sets resembled what I had seen online, but lacked an easy way to cut out parts.

I had the beginning scratch builder in mind, so an improvement was in order. The main solution was the creation of parts templates drawn precisely to scale. Changing to decimal dimensioning allowed me to get to the nearest ten thousandth of an inch. With totally accurate printable templates, dimensioned parts layout sketches became unnecessary. Ten thousandth of an inch accuracy is needed when dealing with material thicknesses in the .010 range. The newer templates are not dimensioned, so you won't see it, but the precision is there.

The other thing that was lacking, was an easy way to print the templates.The answer to that was creating PDF's. All of my sketch sets now include PDF's. All you have to do is print them, cut out the parts outline, use rubber cement to glue to your building material, and cut on the lines. The paper peels off easily.

This whole process makes scratch building fun and easy. BTW...my sketch sets are all public domain, so they are FREE. Sadly, I haven't done any new ones in over a year, and now lack the energy to do any more.

I have made 108 sets and cover a wide range of structures from loading docks, to depots, to homes, to railside industries, etc.

Unfortunately Sketchup won't allow me to fit most HO scale structures on one standard sheet of paper, so I haven't done any in that scale.

·
Registered
8,454 Posts
Gary what you describe seems to be what a lot of N scale
modellers could put to good use. It ain't easy to work with
things that small.

Are you planning to make your plans available at no cost or
will you be selling them? If free, your post in this structures
forum would
be correct, but if you are actually selling them you would want
to establish a new thread in the MARKET PLACE Product Promotion
section of the Forum. That is a free service.

Don

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the advice Don. All my plans are absolutely free. I have never charged for any of them. Many, many modelers have built some fine structures from my plans (some have modified them, which is in the spirit of scratch building).

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The beauty of these sketch sets, is that there is no measuring or scaling required. That is all done for you. All you have to do is print the templates from a PDF, paste on your building material, and cut out the parts. Assembly blowup sketches in 3D make building fun and easy.

To pick from the 108 FREE projects just scroll thru the list.

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,404 Posts
Hello garys60s, aka CNJRR over on the "other" site. By the way the "other" site looks to be going under like the HO site is. ;) Serg just doesn't seem to care. :rolleyes:

Welcome here, to the site.
You need 10 posts to receive pm's.

·
Registered
8,454 Posts
I haven't used one yet but I did download several for use later. I model HO so I will need to try and enlarge them. Thanks for your work here.
If the drawings have real feet and inches dimensions you can use an
HO scale to measure out your materials in HO feet and inches.

I confess, I haven't downloaded any of Gary's work.

Don

·
Registered
164 Posts
If the drawings have real feet and inches dimensions you can use an
HO scale to measure out your materials in HO feet and inches.

I confess, I haven't downloaded any of Gary's work.

Don
Yep I read something indicating that to get the scale right the printer needs to be set to 184% to print from N to HO. If not 184 it was close to that but I will check again before I print one up.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good to see you Ed. Thanks for the welcome! I'm not a bit surprised about NSO...many others have told me the same thing.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Don, Some of my earlier sketches have feet and inches dimensions (in N scale) but going to printable templates made it so much easier to scratch build a structure. Unfortunately I wasn't thinking of the HO guys at the time. Going back to add the dimensions on over a hundred sketch sets would be a bear. Sorry.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I forgot to mention, there 11 of the 1908-1940 Sears kit homes included and some have interior walls.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Number of available FREE sketch sets is now 117, with one more to be added each month, until total is 129.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Number of available FREE sketch sets is now 117, with one more to be added each month, until total is 129.
Do tell, why 129? Seems to specific to be random, and quirky enough for a good story.

Looks like 250% scaling to S? anyone know if that's correct?

I think I'll give a few of those craftmen houses a whirl. Thanks for sharing.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts