Model Train Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Is there a way to use the computer to scale these beauties up to O scale?
I run O, but would love to use some of these.

I tried just using the zoom feature, but that only shows the 3.333 increase on the screen.
It printed in the N scale.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Do tell, why 129? Seems to specific to be random, and quirky enough for a good story.

Looks like 250% scaling to S? anyone know if that's correct?

I think I'll give a few of those craftmen houses a whirl. Thanks for sharing.

129 just happens to be where I ran out of steam doing sketches. I may pick up more sketching steam later.

Yes ... 250 % is correct for N to S. Be aware that you will have to find S scale windows and change openings accordingly.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #23

I tried just using the zoom feature, but that only shows the 3.333 increase on the screen.

I don't know. I didn't realize there was a problem changing to O.
Maybe by using a photo editor ?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Wow!

I just came across this blog, and wow am I impressed. Thanks for all the info and the link to the drawings. I just downloaded Sketchup on my pic so I will attempt to draw an scale building. Thanks for all the pdfs of the various buildings. :appl:

·
Registered
8,466 Posts
The most handy tool that a scratch builder can have
on hand is a multi scale ruler such as the Excel Deluxe
Model Ref ruler:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Excel-Deluxe-Model-Railroad-Reference-ruler/322453357881?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIC.MBE&ao=1&asc=20150604093004&meid=6adb474ce6bd45bda8158b8950f07005&pid=100005&rk=5&rkt=6&sd=401295654783&rt=nc

You can take actual measurements then use the ruler
to draw them out in the scale of your choice. Or you
can use N scale measurements and using the ruler
draw your project in 0 scale, or S, or HO.

Don

·
Registered
59 Posts

Since going from n-scale to O is such a jump (adobe_1.png), the pattern will need to be tiled across multiple pages (adobe_2.png). I have not tried this yet. User beware! lol :
- In Adobe Reader DC (2018.009.20050), select File -> Print
- Select the "Poster" button under "Page Size & Handling"
- Enter new percentage under "Tile Scale"
- Set overlap to 0 in (should make it easier to tape pieces together after cutting)

This is the most direct way I can see to do it. Hopefully, it works!

Attachments

·
Registered
813 Posts

go to the library of congress site http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/hh/ in the search type in what type of structure your looking for with the word drawings , there all listed in real feet and inches no need for conversions.

·
Registered
9,452 Posts
Assuming that it is a true wireframe mesh model, and not just a 3D drawing, it should be printable in 3D -- provided you get the .stl file and not the .pdf.

I don't know about your printer, but mine won't print something that won't fit on an 8-1/2 × 11 sheet of paper. My print bed is only 3.5" × 5.5" x 6.8". You may have to slice these into smaller pieces, unless you're thinking about sending it to Shapeways or someone like that for printing.

Try downloading a file and running it through your slicer software and see what happens.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts