Model Train Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few years ago I stock-piled a large quantity of Micro-Mark peel & stick textured roofing material. It was available in several colors, which were similar to the colors of available asphalt roofing of the 1950's and 1960's. I used the brown in our latest online catalog project, as it was very close to the prototype cottage in Austria. Micro-Mark seems to have discontinued all but the grey version. I am caught between not wanting to waste materials, but I don't like using any material that is not readily available to our customers. Does anyone know of a current peel & stick product that is available in various colors?

·
Registered
10,336 Posts
MicroMark doesn't actually make anything. They are a retailer. If you reach out for "Product Support" on the gray ones, they may be able to tell you who made them, or order them for you.

As far as replacements, matching colors is going to be a dicey proposition no matter what. There are dozens of cards, plastic / wood sheets, etc., listed out there. If you do have to replace them, consider painting your own. That way you can always match the color.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MicroMark doesn't actually make anything. They are a retailer. If you reach out for "Product Support" on the gray ones, they may be able to tell you who made them, or order them for you.

As far as replacements, matching colors is going to be a dicey proposition no matter what. There are dozens of cards, plastic / wood sheets, etc., listed out there. If you do have to replace them, consider painting your own. That way you can always match the color.
I'm not personally concerned with color matching, as I probably have a lifetime supply of the Mico-Mark product in all of the former colors, but the problem is that I want to be able to refer my customers to reliable sources of something very similar. We have customers from about fifty countries around the world, and often people like to know what materials we used for a particular model. Sadly, in this case I have been referring people to Micro-Mark for the roofing product, not realizing that it had been discontinued. Micro-Mark still sells some of the texture sheets, but only the grey in the 3-tab roofing shingles, and not the other colors. These were all peel & stick and textured. What I am looking for is a supplier of something similar to the photo below, in various colors. I still have a lifetime supply, but If our customers want to re-create the models in the example we show on the website catalog, they may not be able to. If anyone knows of a similar 3-tab self-stick shingle product, please let me know. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
10,336 Posts
As I said before, reach out to them. Maybe the will tell you who their supplier was, and you can find another source for it. The tech support contact information is on the cards in your photo. They also have a Product Support line and e-mail. I've found them very responsive over the years.

At the end of the day, though, you may have to just tell people: "Unfortunately, this product is no longer made. Here is a substitute."

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As I said before, reach out to them. Maybe the will tell you who their supplier was, and you can find another source for it. The tech support contact information is on the cards in your photo. They also have a Product Support line and e-mail. I've found them very responsive over the years.

At the end of the day, though, you may have to just tell people: "Unfortunately, this product is no longer made. Here is a substitute."
When I contacted Micro-Mark about this all they were able to tell me is that they no longer produced those particular products. I would like find some other sources of something similar, so if anyone out there has found a self-adhesive textured roofing paper similar to the photo, that they are happy with, I would like to hear from you. I have found various 'cedar shake' materials, and I even have a tutorial on making your own, but it is the simplicity of the former MM product, and the fact that they represent 3tab asphalt that I liked. Aprt from contact MM, I would like to hear from actual users about what they use and what they are happy with. Thanks again.

·
Registered
10,336 Posts
Good find, Dave! I have several BEST products and I love them --- didn't know they made paper peel and stick shingles though. All the ones I have are etched wood.

Real nice group of folks, too -- always used to chat with them at the Amherst Show.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Good find, Dave! I have several BEST products and I love them --- didn't know they made paper peel and stick shingles though. All the ones I have are etched wood.

Real nice group of folks, too -- always used to chat with them at the Amherst Show.
I've used them a couple times. I really like them. They look good and take paint well. Brian and Jill are really nice people.

·
Registered
20 Posts
A few years ago I stock-piled a large quantity of Micro-Mark peel & stick textured roofing material. It was available in several colors, which were similar to the colors of available asphalt roofing of the 1950's and 1960's. I used the brown in our latest online catalog project, as it was very close to the prototype cottage in Austria. Micro-Mark seems to have discontinued all but the grey version. I am caught between not wanting to waste materials, but I don't like using any material that is not readily available to our customers. Does anyone know of a current peel & stick product that is available in various colors?

View attachment 554483
We have many colors and styles of peel and stick shingles, check out besttrains.com

·
Registered
10,336 Posts
We have many colors and styles of peel and stick shingles, check out besttrains.com
Thanks for that, Jille! As you can see from the history, someone has discovered those and posted the link already. I've bought a lot of your products over the years, and have always been very satisfied. I expect these to be the same!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts