Model Train Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my hands on an Athearn RTR SD39 at a super bargain price... pre-owned, but track-tested on the club layout. Runs and sounds great. Excellent detail.
No original box, but all the add-on's are included (separate fuel rigging, etc).
Paint & lettering are accurate, except the cab number is slightly oversize.
Lighting package is SP-authentic.
Cab side windows don't move. I'm told the latest production issues have sliders.

SD39 models are hard to come by in these parts. Haven't seen any in quite a while.
Tons of SD40-2's though.

rmc-athearn-sp-sd39-01.jpg

rmc-athearn-sp-sd39-05.jpg

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Nice! I didn’t know they were made. I remember seeing real Santa Fe SD39s up by Buffalo, NY, headed to Guilford.

The SP model really looks great with all the added details!

Tom

·
Registered
407 Posts
I have to say that is a beautiful model.

Has Athearn upped it's quality since I was a buyer in the 1980's? I have several that I recently rediscovered and they do not look that good.

Bob

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
SP's 5300 class was comprised of 26 units...
From the late '60's through the '70's they were frequently used on the Saugus Line and the Tehachapi (in long strings, or in helper service).
In the 80's they were mainly relegated to LA shuttle duty.
Many of them left the roster in the mid 80's, but 10 units stayed with SP up to about 1995.

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Has Athearn upped it's quality since I was a buyer in the 1980's? I have several that I recently rediscovered and they do not look that good.

Bob
Athearn RTR quality is excellent, and MSRP is very reasonable.
I have 4 of their locomotives, and I can easily state that they'll rival almost anything on the market... in detail, sound, and run-quality.
The only thing negative I have to say about Athearn RTR models is their couplers. Changing them out is an absolute must.

This SD40R is another example of Athearn RTR:

20190213_204902~3.jpg

·
Registered
10 Posts
SD39

Just ordered mine through Athearn and I like the notorious light package that SP put on those and other locomotives. Very good running model.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts