Model Train Forum banner

381 - 400 of 448 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #381
Small Town - Part II

Pics 1,2 & 3: With more cobblestone sheet on hand paving continued. I wasn’t really liking how bright the cobblestone was, so it got a wash down with black acrylic paint heavily diluted with denatured alcohol.

Pic 4. An odd shaped area became a green space filled with maple trees and aster flowers.

Attachments

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #385
Thanks again Gramps!

Yeah, "back in the day" people didn't go to Wally World in their PJs.

Even in the late 1980's my Grandpa wouldn't go to town without putting on a clean shirt and a tie, even if he was going to the barber shop or the stock yard. And he never left the house without putting on his fedora.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Thanks again Gramps!

Even in the late 1980's my Grandpa wouldn't go to town without putting on a clean shirt and a tie, even if he was going to the barber shop or the stock yard. And he never left the house without putting on his fedora.
I remember those day, but it was closer to the late '60's for me.

Great looking houses and I love that 1920's feel.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #389
Thanks Michael.

That was a very rural part of SW Virginia. Even today there are "silver seniors" there that won't go to town "looking like that".

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Thanks again Gramps!

After he became president in 1961, JFK did not wear a hat with his suit. My Dad never got over that.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
For the layout I'm currently working on, multi-level and tunnels were a must-have. I had always wanted to build a multiple level layout but never had the space to get a track up, over, and down again that looked realistic.

I'm very happy with my grades and tunnels. What I like most is that it really breaks up the merry-go-'round effect of a continuous loop. It doesn't really look like it's part of the same track.

The trains exit the tunnel on the upper level in a level condition and start an almost imperceptible descent shortly before entering the next tunnel. On the lower level they also exit the tunnel level.

The only real grade you see is on the back side of the layout for the 13' 2.5% climb to the upper level. You have to be standing to see it though. I do like watching trains on that long stretch. It's the only time on the layout I can look at a whole train on a straight section of track.

What are your plans for the track where the sub-roadbed ends at the top of the curve?

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #393
Every time I see your layout, Michael, I wish I'd planned multi-level from the get-go, for the reasons you stated. But alas.

What are your plans for the track where the sub-roadbed ends at the top of the curve?
Not quite sure how it's all going to work out, but this loop is going to amount to nothing more than a spur serving the mill from the Rust Rock Falls kit.

If built according to the instructions the falls need to fall 5 1/2 inches (but I don't think I'll get quite that much height) so I had to loop up to gain the elevation. The added bonus is the main line tunnel.

The part that's really bothering me is that section of track against the wall as you start up the loop... it's going to tunnel under the stream. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #394
Finished the mainline glue-down. Super-elevated the turn from the last/3rd ammo box at the top until it returned to the base level.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #395
A shot down the line... so y'all can see my superior track laying skillz on that center line.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Hi Stumpy, you've got a really fine looking layout going on there. You have amazing attention to detail in your models and scenes that's very impressive. There's lots to see and notice as someone looks around your layout. Congrats on such a great railroad!

- Mark

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #399
The original plan for that turnout on the right was to be a double spur to the logging operation. But the logging operation got abandoned in favor of the Rust Rock Falls kit that will be to focal point of this end of the layout. So instead of pulling the turnout up I was just going to abandon the inside leg. Then it hit me. That inside leg now leads to a future layout expansion.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #400
The Plateau

Where the track against the wall passes under the foam board I have less than 3" clearance from the top of the rail - and that's where the river is supposed to come through. I don't really want to raise the foam board up because that would make the last part of the grade too steep. I don't have this figured out yet.

381 - 400 of 448 Posts