Model Train Forum banner

401 - 420 of 461 Posts

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #401
Got the PRR GP9s changed over to Southern, and different road numbers. Putting decals in those number boards... Gaahh!

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #403
The stock car with the shiny silver top and ends was making my eye twitch, so I fixed it. I didn't take any before pics, but it is the car behind the tender in the video in post #387 above.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #404
The water will run over a spillway (white piece of foam in the back) just before the track bed, pass under the track and by the mill which will be on the bank on the right. Past the mill is the big/high fall.

Fun with plaster cloth soon.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #408
This past Sunday evening.

The 2nd pic shows access hole #1 which will be filled with a "plug".

The 3rd pic shows access hole #2 which will be normally covered by facia board.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #413 (Edited)
Since the plaster isn't ready to paint I spent the day in SCARM working on the layout expansion mentioned a few posts ago. I've decided it's going to be a yard/staging area since I've been acquiring a bit of rolling stock for obscure/small - and mostly fallen - road names from the southeast. First pic is the entire layout with the yard added to the original L shape, then a closeup of the yard.

It's pretty ambitious and I wish there was more than one way/track in & out. But, hey, it is what it is. With the exception of one crossing I'll have to hand-lay, all turnouts & crossings are are PECO.

All opinions/advice welcome.

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
I was thinking of the same question. I would want access to all of the crossing tracks.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Stumpy -

Looking at your yard plan, the switch into the third track from the left doesn't make sense, because there isn't really enough room to hold even an engine and a car.

I'd make that "straight iron" (no switch).

The second from the left track should have just a left-hand turnout, and even that will be just enough to hold an engine and a car (perhaps two cars). Or...

You might need to lengthen those tracks a bit.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I think, based on my vast experience with yard operations, 🤣 🤣 that it's a good place to idle the shunter.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #419
J.Albert - Thanks for the feedback.

Yeah, same thing with the three tracks on the right side. If I do what you suggest for both that's two fewer double slip switche💲 and four fewer turnout motor💲.

The other two walls in the room are lined with counter-height work space. The bottom edge of the yard is 42" from the edge of the counter as drawn. I could extend the yard six more inches, but that's about it.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #420
Yard take 2. Added six inches to the long edge, so the dimensions are now 40" x 78".

401 - 420 of 461 Posts