Model Train Forum banner

441 - 460 of 461 Posts

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #443
Thanks guys!

Anything else new going on with the layout?
Kinda slow presently. I was pondering on the proposed layout expansion/yard (see post #413) and I got the wild idea that I could maybe extend some track off of the mid and/or upper levels of the mesa and make the expansion two levels. So work came to a halt on the mesa & waterfall.

That's why I started working on the farm (Baloney's barn and a two story farm house), which will sit on top of the lift-out section between the river and the mesa.

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Nice house Stumpy. It reminds me a bit of the Walton's home. Or rather Earl Hammer Jr.

Reactions: Stumpy

·
Registered
224 Posts
Beautiful work, I lived in a house exactly like that a few years ago!

Reactions: Stumpy

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #455
The RedHead's hobby is crochet. Hence the name of the factory/warehouse.

I've been looking for just the right boxcar for this. This Athearn mustard yellow undecorated popped up on fleabay... there it is. Custom decal for the "road name" and the rest from the decal scrap bin.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #456 (Edited)
Front Range boxcar kit

No instructions in the box, so I hit google and they came up on HO Seeker. Probably the most detailed kit I've put together to-date - ladders, grab irons, etc. weren't molded on to the box.

Kadee couplers and wheelsets added.

The decals for a local road name I purchased a while back. I first tried them on another car and failed miserably. As you can see from the pics the decal film is very thick and doesn't "lay down" very well. So I thought I'd try them on this smooth-side car. Hopefully a treatment with Micro-Sol will flatten them out more and then a shot of dullcote will blend them in.

In my search for the instructions I came across some interesting, old forum threads about the Front Range brand. Seems the "entrepreneur" that started this company was a little less than forthright in his business dealings and this FR brand wasn't his first shady shenanigans.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #457
ebay find. One of those obscure road names. Says "MHM ( I think) made in Austria" on the underbody.

Looks to be 125 grain, .38 cal wadcutters for weights... screwed in. Given that bolt holding the coupler in I don't think that needs upgrading... should hold.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #460
Since ballasting track is next on the list I decided to build/upgrade some rolling stock over the weekend. For me "upgrade" = KaDee couplers if not already equipped, Kadee metal wheelsets or trucks and adding weight if needed.

So I added three cars to the consist of the SRR Consolidation - bringing the total to 13 cars - and it couldn't make it up the grade on the main line. It broke traction and started wheelslip as it was passing the turnout for the siding (where the GP9s and three cars are parked in the video). Just before it got to the water tower at the coal mine forward movement stopped.

So I backed it down, un-hooked the Consolidation and hooked up the Challenger. No problem. So I added the 8 car consist that I had hooked to the N&W Consolidation. No problem. I think the thing would pull every car I have RTR up that grade.

With the exception of the three tankers, all cars are within a half ounce of the NMRA recommended weight.

441 - 460 of 461 Posts