Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Made in Yugoslavia. That's all o can find printed on it. Anyone know what brand or anything about this particular model? Good, bad or indifferent?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry, that was a typo. Seeking info! I just got it in an ebay lot. This, two Bachmann pancakes, a Tyco switcher (I think, still learning) a bunch of Tyco rolling stock and a few power supplies. Maybe not the deal of the century, but after resoldering a few wires and cleaning things up I've got this one and the Bachmann running decently.

·
Registered
676 Posts
The steamer is a Mehano. I have one just like it. They’re decent runners (for inexpensive models).
If you don’t have a tender for it you may be able to find one on eBay.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The steamer is a Mehano. I have one just like it. They’re decent runners (for inexpensive models).
If you don’t have a tender for it you may be able to find one on eBay.
I have a tender "Chattanooga". It runs fairly well, although there is a bit of an occasional stutter and a tendency for the front wheel to derail. I think it just needs broke on a bit, it seems to get better the more I run it. Although it's noisey! Might try to stuff a loco genie in it.

·
Registered
9,556 Posts
It may BE a 0-8-0 in it's current configuration, but it wasn't designed to be one. The overhang at the rear is too long, and there's an empty screw hole in the bottom. True 0-8-0's were more centered over the drivers, in order to get the max weight on them, thereby increasing tractive effort. The gap between the cylinders and the front pilot indicates that there are supposed to be wheels there as well. My guess is that it's supposed to be a 2-8-2 Mikado or 2-8-4 Berkshire

Anything made in Yugoslavia (now Slovenia) is by Mehano, regardless of what company's name is on the box, and as stated, they are good, inexpensive locos. I have 3 of them, from IHC's Premier Series: a GP 24, a 4-6-2 Pacific and a 2-8-2 Mikado. These are a step up jn detail, but all converted nicely to DCC and run very well.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, I didn't really see where anything would be missing. I don't know a lot about trains, so sometimes you just don't know what you don't know... Ya know. But it doesn't look like anything is missing.

·
Registered
9,556 Posts
Another duplicate post...

·
Registered
676 Posts
Yeah, I didn't really see where anything would be missing. I don't know a lot about trains, so sometimes you just don't know what you don't know... Ya know. But it doesn't look like anything is missing.

What CTValley stated is true. However, none of the models I’ve ever seen of those have included a trailing truck. Finding one or kit bashing a set on there would be challenging but certainly not impossible.
Mine runs fine as it is. I doubt your derailing problem is due to not having this truck.
It’s true, they do look weird without it.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's interesting. Are you guys saying the train it's modeled after should have a trailing truck and they just didn't put it on this version, or that this model may be missing something?

There is an open hole, but it does not appear anything had ever been in there. It's not threaded or scratched even.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Google "0-8-0 917"
You will find a lot of info and related photos of this model.
I also thought that unsupported firebox/cab was not practical, but...

·
Registered
689 Posts
Looks like Tyco/AHM/Mehano used that same chassis and/or that same boiler/cab
for more than one model, 2-8-2, 0-8-0, 4-6-2. Must have been popular!

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
While the model may never have had a trailing truck, that gap just seems way too long. Even the googled 080 shows the cab staring just after the drivers which is not the case for this model. It also does not appear to have mounting provisions for any pilot trucks. The mystery deepens.

·
Admin
43,708 Posts
This is what a typical 0-8-0 model would look like.
View attachment 543406

Yours clearly was designed to have a trailing truck. Just because it's not there now, or maybe never was, that doesn't mean it's not needed for this to be a complete model. The huge void under the cab looks totally out of place without the proper truck.

·
Registered
689 Posts
What mystery? "Google "0-8-0 917"

You'll get pics and info. It has mounting holes for trailing truck used in other configurations,
the pilot probably mounted (if configured) using the existing screw between the cylinders.

" Looks like Tyco/AHM/Mehano used that same chassis and/or that same boiler/cab
for more than one model, 2-8-2, 0-8-0, 4-6-2."

That info came from a Tyco Forum. Along with pictures.

·
Registered
689 Posts
states:
"For its final pair of appearances, 1991 and 1992, in the TYCO product catalog, the name reverts to Chattanooga Choo-Choo (No.7425) and the set contents is very different from all previous offerings.

The biggest change is the switch to mostly Yugoslovian-made items from the original Hong Kong produced TYCO pieces. TYCO exits HO-scale trains in 1993 and the last few years found many substitutions among items in the line. The Chattanooga set is no exception to these changes. Though TYCO doesn't specify the wheel arrangement for its steam loco in the 1991 catalog, the image shows an 0-8-0 Chattanooga locomotive with the silver boiler-end and brown cab roof. The loco however has now become #917 in the Chattanooga roster. The boiler design and general appearance of this last Chattanooga 0-8-0 seems to favor the Mehano-made IHC Premier Series 2-8-2 Mikado Steam Engine. Very likely Mehano in Europe is the maker of both items."

1 - 20 of 34 Posts