Model Train Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

Registered
There is likely no prototype for this Tyco 0-8-0 anyway, so the real "mystery" is why they would produce it! 馃槀

Registered
Discussion Starter #22
This is what a typical 0-8-0 model would look like.
View attachment 543406

Yours clearly was designed to have a trailing truck. Just because it's not there now, or maybe never was, that doesn't mean it's not needed for this to be a complete model. The huge void under the cab looks totally out of place without the proper truck.
I agree it looks odd. I can't see your picture for some reason though

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Registered
I should have specified, look at "Images" tab when Googling the 917. You will see beaucoup photos of Vette's exact model on page 1. :D
Like I said, I think they're all foobies anyway...

Registered
Good points, all. I did forget that we might be dealing with a brand that doesn't particularly care about a realistic appearance, but is trying to get as much mileage out of one design as possible.

Mehano CAN make very nicely detailed and realistic models (I have 3 of them), but they will also crank out junk if someone pays them to do it.

Registered
That's definitely supposed to be a 2-8-2.
I have the same model I'm working on now to add DCC.
These engines are great starters for kitbashing/customization!
Decent runners, very affordable, and the detail level is such it won't break your heart to shave off molded-on details and replace them with castings.

Have FUN!

Registered
Discussion Starter #26
I've found a lead and trailing truck that I believe will work. I'm going to play and with it a bit and see.

Registered
Good deal!
I can always take pictures of mine if you need to see how/where the trucks attach to the frame.
Might take me a day or so to get it to you, but I will make it happen.

Registered
Discussion Starter #28
I think I see how they go on. Once they get here I'll let you know how it goes.

Registered
Discussion Starter #30
Yeah, I have a drawer full of small screws, hopefully something works.

While we're at it, any idea where I could find a replacement light lens? (not sure if there is a proper railroad term here... Headlamp?). This one just had a hole in the front, no lens or housing.

And because I can't leave alone, I'm considering repainting. I like to tinker, so this means like the one to play with. The only example I see so far with some color is USRA in green. Any others?

Registered
If the original HL is missing, consider filling the hole with "squadron putty" and mount a whole new casting for the headlight.
The original light castings are overly large (to house the bulb) and not super realistic.

As for the repaint, go for it! You can get custom made decals these days quite easily. I had to do mine the old fashioned way: single-letter water-slide decal sheets.
(Try lettering "NEW YORK & NEW ENGLAND" letter-by-letter!)

Registered
Discussion Starter #32
If the original HL is missing, consider filling the hole with "squadron putty" and mount a whole new casting for the headlight.
The original light castings are overly large (to house the bulb) and not super realistic.

As for the repaint, go for it! You can get custom made decals these days quite easily. I had to do mine the old fashioned way: single-letter water-slide decal sheets.
(Try lettering "NEW YORK & NEW ENGLAND" letter-by-letter!)
Where would one find the HL casting? One that at least looks in place (not necessary to be correct). I'm not sure I understand filling it, if like to keep and operable headlamp. Although I could switch to having there light back a ways with a sorry of fiber optic setup or switch to a smaller LED Lamp if I can find one that small in warm white. I have 2mm bulbs but they are too white for this application.

Registered
When I was looking for parts for my Bachmann 0-6-0 project, I went here:

Look at some of the manufacturers names and check around.

Registered
Where would one find the HL casting? One that at least looks in place (not necessary to be correct). I'm not sure I understand filling it, if like to keep and operable headlamp. Although I could switch to having there light back a ways with a sorry of fiber optic setup or switch to a smaller LED Lamp if I can find one that small in warm white. I have 2mm bulbs but they are too white for this application.

My suggestion:
FIRST, find a PICTURE of a prototype you want to copy/emulate.
Second: decide if you want to use a tiny bulb or a (possibly) tinier LED.
You can fill in the gaping hole in the smokebox front, possibly leaving a small hole for the headlight wire to protrude through.
Any casting you get is going to need a different bulb from the one included with your engine. If you decide to use an LED (as I would) be sure to put a resistor (1000 Ohms or so) in series or you will wind up with an overly bright light with a likelyhood of burning out.
Once you've decided which headlight casting you are going to use, measure and drill the proper sized hole in the smokebox front to mount the new headlight.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts