Model Train Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started out modeling N trains. As my vision and dexterity has decreased, I have made the choice to switch to O for inside (if I ever find room for a layout) and G for outdoor, where I have lots of room.
I have been selling N trains and track on eBay, but I found out that they have been taking a cut, not only out of the selling price, but also from the tax and shipping costs, too. I am an honest person. I don’t inflate shipping charges to scam anyone, and I’m sick of being taken advantage of by eBay’s policies of greed.

Does anyone have recommendations on where I can sell, hopefully with more reasonable terms? I’m not a dealer, but I have accumulated quite a few things over the past couple of years. I am not up to traveling to shows, but will look into online options.

Until I can set-up my O layout, I still am maintaining a small N one, but I am no longer looking into upgrades, improvements or expansion, and I will sell this too, eventually. A big part of the fun for me is to make and look forward to improvements. I am glad that I got the N set, but I sure plowed through a lot of money In the process - and with dc only.

· Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
[QUOTE="Steve Rothstein, post:
I suggest the for sale forum here. There you will know the audience is into trains, at least.
[/QUOTE]

I’m embarrassed to say that I haven’t seen the for sale area here. I’ll have to look at this site in more detail.

· Registered
12,824 Posts
I understand your frustration, but I think you need to delve a little more deeply into eBay. OK, yes, they charge fees, but they're providing you a selling / advertising platform, and some level of protection from scammers and bad customers. Thet's not free. Take that into account when you set your prices. Likewise if you need to cover the cost of shipping materials (I reuse materials that are sent to me, so I don't incur cost there). You shouldn't be paying or collecting sales tax if you are not a dealer or merchant. Person to person transactions are not subject to sales tax.

I have always made out just fine using eBay-purchased shipping labels. I generally make a slight profit on shipping, but I don't try to use it as a profit center, either.

· Registered
10,294 Posts
I have had very good luck using Craigslist. They have
two categories that list trains: ' Collectibles' and
'Toys and games'. It's free also. You can run your
ad in Craigs of various nearby cities. Pictures in
the ad are very helpful.

Don

· Registered
1,499 Posts
If it was HO scale, then I'd suggest the "HO Swap list":
But you don't want to put N scale stuff up for sale there.
I'm wondering if there's an equivalent "swap list" for N...?

· Registered
20 Posts
I tried N scale when I first started back in trains. Try as I might it just wasn’t doing it. Being only 79 I tried Z scale. Love it. It’s a challenge but that’s part of the fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

· Registered
423 Posts
Yes feebay charges 12.55% on final value which includes tax and shipping. PayPal took 3% of final value which those were included in and feebay took 10. Then they stopped sleeping with PayPal, well they sold it and now it’s .45% cheaper now. I know big deal. But don’t forget about the new tax law that went into effect this January. 600$ total of all you sell and irs gets a notice and you get a 1099 to claim on what you’ve made. That’s why I stopped on feebay and if you sell somewhere else ask to be paid by money order or PayPal FRIENDS AND FAMILY. that is like a gift not income. They go by 3rd party sales and charges.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts