Model Train Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There was a thread last night at the other forum where people were confirming this news but the post got deleted.

News seems to big to ignore ...

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The thread starter said he was at the Allentown show and some dealers were discussing it. Then others chimed in saying that yes it was in fact true ... that's all I know.

I looked for links to post but could not find.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
The thread starter said he was at the Allentown show and some dealers were discussing it. Then others chimed in saying that yes it was in fact true ... that's all I know.

I looked for links to post but could not find.
Wouldn't surprise me. Seems some equity firm buys them, and gets tired of them a few years later. MTH been on the block for years but Mike wants to much or so I've been told.

What Lionel needs is stability and a owner willing to invest in QC, with a better commitment to service. We can dream can't we?

P

·
0 Posts
If true, I don't think this news is a shocker to any of us. But being for sale verses "sold" is quite another matter. The best time to sell is when things are booming with excellent sales and good profits. That condition attracts buyers. Anything less than that typically attracts bargain hunters that usually don't excite sellers.

It wasn't that long ago when another O-Gauge related business was reported to also be for sale. At the time, a buyer was reported to be in the wings ready to gobble it up. Many months went by and it appears that deal fizzled and the owners appear to still be in place.

So putting a "for sale" sign on the front lawn doesn't mean much other that an intent to want to get out. In these cases, it does take two to tango.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Seems like selling a toy train company would not be an easy sell. In my opinion there is not a tremdous amount of room for growth in the model train business. Although, I heard Ryan say that Lionel had one of their better sales years last year. I suspect that mostly comes from starter sets. If Lionel is indeed up for sale, maybe that is why the Investment company is wanting to sell while the books are showing good sales from last year.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

P

·
0 Posts
"Although, I heard Ryan say that Lionel had one of their better sales years last year."

Sales don't mean much to a buyer unless they are tied to strong profits. Profits are what the beef is about.

·
Registered
5,668 Posts
Weaver was up for sale forever without being sold. Probably thousands of more profitable places to invest in than a toy train company.

Bill

·
Registered
71 Posts
"Although, I heard Ryan say that Lionel had one of their better sales years last year.

I had a customer tell me that once.

It was true........He lost less money than the year prior.

W

·
0 Posts
I am by no means a business expert whatsoever. The Lionel name still holds a heck of a lot of prestige and for some the bragging rights of ownership does mean a lot. After speaking to a dealer today about the for sale post on the other forum he said it crops up every now and then. So far nothing has come of it. Apparently the Lionel company is very near and dear to the Guggenheim Trust. Who really knows...anything is possible. People have left Lionel in the recent past. Does anyone know the real reason why? I don't. Speculations abound and always will. Who knows, maybe an entirely new model train company may emerge on the scene.

Regards,

Gary.

·
Moderator Torpedo Emeritus
3,016 Posts
The original post of this thread states that that thread got deleted over on OGR. Let the rumors and crappy threads from OGR stay there, and not here. It’s a moot point to speculate on what seems like only rumor, and unverifiable sources. Keep the OGR crap on their forum, and don’t bring it here. I’m closing this thread.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.