3,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The end of a bad day for me.

BB772273-501B-4A37-9CDD-1624B687E993_1_201_a.jpeg
9A38B4A9-8D89-49D1-904C-D4001EF61E92.jpeg

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Fibreglass isn't your friend in a crash.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was in Lakewood hospital for a month, and then shipped to Cleveland Clinic for a month. At Cleveland Clinic, I had a team of ex military Docs who were MASH surgeons. They repaired my mangled broken bones, put me in a body cast and sent me out to recoup for another six months. I had more surgeries after that but only after the cast was cut back to allow for some movement.

The fact that the car was fiberglass is why I am still malive. The engine and tranny left the car. Had it been a metal car, everything would have wrapped back into the front seat and me. I went through what was the fire wall and ended up where the engine had been. The car was totaled and carried off in the back of a truck. The oak tree I hit had been hit several times before hand was quite scared, as I am now.

Reactions: highvoltage

·
Registered
8,745 Posts
Well, glad you survived, but frankly Corvettes and 24 year-old drivers usually don't mix well.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Do you mind if I ask what you were doing for a living at that time to be able to afford a 1970 Corvette at 24 years old?

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was in construction. I spent 50 years working for the same company. And, it was actually a 68 Corvette. You couldn't actually tell from the wreckage. If you look closely at the top picture you will see a road (Rocky River Drive, or Riverside Drive) The fence is a type of guard rail keeping people from driving off a 200 foot embankment, or cliffside. I actually thought I had gone over. A young boy did exactly that a week before my near fatal day. He didn't make it. It was sort of the "Dead Man's Curve" of where I lived at the time.

Reactions: MichaelE

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Spence, given my situation, the fast response of the Fire Department and the Emergency Docs at the hospital were all top notch people, and without their help, I never would have survived for very long. There were a lot of complications during my hospital stays, but at each and every turn, the professionals all were the best.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
What caused the crash?...Speed? Alcohol? Mechanical failure? Couldn't have been texting while driving!

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Poor decisions and alcohol. There were lots of extenuating reasons that led up to that day, but in the end, it was poor judgment.

·
Registered
7,928 Posts
If you were drinking and driving.....well.....good thing you didn’t kill anyone.....

·
Registered
580 Posts
glad you survived there have been plenty of Corvette accidents around san diego and there was nothing left of the car or the driver.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I didn't post this for sympathy. Perhaps, I shouldn't have posted it at all. Just another piece of poor judgment.

Once, back in my youth,
I made a poor decision.
I chose to drink all day.
and then drive home.

My stupidity was countered
by some experts,
Fire Department rescuers,
Emergency Room Doctors
and care givers, and a group
of ex Mash Doctors
rebuilt my broken and mangled bones
and all my internal components.

Without them,
I would've never been a Husband,
a father, or a grand father.
I thank them all,
daily.

·
Registered
8,745 Posts
It was sort of the "Dead Man's Curve" of where I lived at the time.
So, uhh, Jan and Jean actually sang a song about you. Were you by any chance racing a Jag?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts