Model Train Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I wasn't racing. As I recall, the car was running very poorly back then. I was always a Ford guy, and couldn't keep a Chevy running very well. I was planning a major tune-up and carburetor change out, but that didn't happen. The engine was a 327, 300 HP. It could fly, when it ran right.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
That was one of Chevrolet's best designed engines up to that point. With the right compression ratio and fuel injection they squeezed 375 HP out of that engine.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I still have no sympathy for you ....
I believe you have made your point. Why not just divorce yourself from the thread? I know how you feel, and I welcome your feelings. I made a mistake, and have been paying for it since that very day. I know it makes no difference to you, but console yourself in the knowledge that I have been in physical pain since the moment it happened.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
All the hindsight and all else aside, and if you were around in the 60's and early 70's, believe it or not, drinking and driving was not, wrongly, taken seriously back then. Comedians joked about it and in New York, DWI level then was 1.5. Impaired was 1.0. 9/30/70, while the end of a bad day, should be thought of as the beginning of good new days.
I posted this without seeing the previous two posts but I wish you the best.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
That was one of Chevrolet's best designed engines up to that point. With the right compression ratio and fuel injection they squeezed 375 HP out of that engine.
The 30/30 Duntov cam did a lot to add to that horsepower.

·
Registered
8,745 Posts
The Chevy small block was a great engine. I owned and built up a lot of them, and always preferred what wecalled the "two F" versions ("Fix it and Forget about it)" versions rather than the "three F" (Fuss and Fiddle Forever). I didn't think that small extra increment of power you got from extreme versions of either the small block or big block (375HP, 425HP+) was worth the hassle. It could mean a tenth or two at the strip but day to day it was better to go with hydraulic lifters and just one reasonably sized four barrel. So I never went with the solid cams, the multiple carbs, etc. The 350 V8 in either 300 HP or 350 HP form was well-behaved and powerful enough for the street and just never gave problems. A friend's 375 was never really a nightmare, but it would would be tempermental on cold mornings or in street traffic, had an erratic idle, no low end torque at all until it was fully warmed up, and required that he re-adjust the value lash every so often - which means he came over and got me to help him. I really hated that type of work although at least it was easier on a solid-lifter 'vette than on an XKE.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Didn't the XKE have two over head cams? An acquaintance of mine had two XKE's, and had serious mishaps with both of them, IE, Jan and Dean experiences without the hospitalization.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Different times back then. Drinking and driving didn't have the stigma it does now. Seat belts had only been mandatory 2 years before the car was built and were only required installed, not worn. Society was still coming to terms with speed. But trees never change. I wrapped my Camaro around a tree 10 years ago and it behaved the same as yours. I hit it sideways, the tree cut into the car's trunk about 2', the car did a complete 180 around it and ended up in a ditch on the other side. I walked away with a few scratches (seat belts and airbags). The tree lost some bark.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Speed now is a big contributor to fatalities. Alcohol still plays a problem. Cars now, have speed limiters on them. I had a 2004 Mini Cooper that was electronically limited to 134 MPH. Sure, today cars are safer, and people are injured less, but there are those who still manage to get around these issues and defeat all attempts to keep life intact.

I distinctly remember two sayings when I was young, Buy your son a Corvette (or motorcycle) for his last birthday.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts