Model Train Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone has any tips on how to correctly space wheels on the axle? I have a wheel spacing jig but I was wondering how to set the first wheel on the axle? Is it more of an eyeball it kinda thing since the axle floats in the truck? Also, is there any tool out there to make this easy? Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
For S gauge cars the spacing between the backs of the wheels is the width of a dime. That is how I set all of mine.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For S gauge cars the spacing between the backs of the wheels is the width of a dime. That is how I set all of mine.
I am aware of the spacing from wheel to wheel, but I was wondering if there is any special way of putting on the first wheel? Is there a particular distance the wheel needs to be from the end of the axle and is there a tool to do this?

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
I usually just do one or two at a time so I just eyeball it using a complete wheelset as an example. I am referring to the Gilbert blunt end axles. If there is a need to do a large quantity a jig or fixture would be helpful, I am not aware of one commercially available.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I usually just do one or two at a time so I just eyeball it using a complete wheelset as an example. I am referring to the Gilbert blunt end axles. If there is a need to do a large quantity a jig or fixture would be helpful, I am not aware of one commercially available.
Perfect....that answered my question, thanks! However, I was hoping for a magic tool! :goofball:

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
If you are asking how to move the wheel on the axle, this is probably the best way. And here is Frank Timko’s website. You won’t see the puller there. You need to call or email if you want one. I believe they are around $35.

http://timkorepairdepot.com/

IMG_9004 (2).JPG

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you are asking how to move the wheel on the axle, this is probably the best way. And here is Frank Timko’s website. You won’t see the puller there. You need to call or email if you want one. I believe they are around $35.
Thanks for the info but I already purchased a wheel puller from PE Design & Manufacturing. This is another great option!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts