Model Train Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
9,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ronthepirate and several others commented on my recent Union Monitor story that they were not aware of the Union Monitor or some of the other details before. It occurred to me that that is natural given how busy all of us are, and how we all just can't get to and notice everything.

Those who enjoy the Union Monitor stories I make up and post here, and want more of the same model-train related malarky, might enjoy the fictional biography of Veranda Turbine I wrote. She was Hollywood's greatest actress during its golden age, and not only made the movie They Came From Another World, but many other films, including The Third Rail, GG1-G.I., Rough Track, Chew Chew, The Rivet Counter, and of course, the greatest movie ever made, Queen of the Incas.

Much of the story of her life takes place in San Bettadaise, where she settled after she retired (the first time) from film-making. It tells her story, the whole history of the Union Monitor and how it started, and the town of San Bettadaise itself, along with detailed plots and background details on all here many, many movies. It can be a lot of silliness to take in all in one read, but it's fun throughout.

It's available on Amazon in large format so it is easy to read and the pictures are big, for $15, priced at what it costs to produce it - I make no profit but it was sure fun to write.

https://www.amazon.com/Veranda-Turbine-Life-Lee-Willis/dp/1503122808/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8

Head Text Font Poster Photo caption

· Registered
5,958 Posts
I have been thinking about writing a review of Veranda Turbine for a few weeks, but instead, I’ve been doing what I do best…procrastinating…and thinking about writing a review of Veranda Turbine. Anyway, here is an abridged version of what I was thinking about.

I read mostly magazines these days, sometimes a book and rarely fiction. But Lee’s threads here are always interesting and this shot in particular drew my attention.

Pedestrian Vehicle Mode of transport Luxury vehicle Car

So, I got the book. When my wife asked what I was reading, I told her it was the life story of an O scale figure with perfect ¾ - ½ - ¾ measurements. She said I was weird. As I was reading, I felt like I was getting to know Vera and her family. I actually empathized a bit with their triumphs and their tragedies…maybe I am weird or maybe that’s just what good fiction does. Since reading the book, I have found the Union Monitor even more enjoyable because I know a bit about the town and some of its residents.

LONG STORY SHORT: A THOROUGHLY ENJOYABLE READ.

· Registered
6,958 Posts
I have been thinking about writing a review of Veranda Turbine for a few weeks, but instead, I’ve been doing what I do best…procrastinating…and thinking about writing a review of Veranda Turbine. Anyway, here is an abridged version of what I was thinking about.

I read mostly magazines these days, sometimes a book and rarely fiction. But Lee’s threads here are always interesting and this shot in particular drew my attention.

So, I got the book. When my wife asked what I was reading, I told her it was the life story of an O scale figure with perfect ¾ - ½ - ¾ measurements. She said I was weird. As I was reading, I felt like I was getting to know Vera and her family. I actually empathized a bit with their triumphs and their tragedies…maybe I am weird or maybe that’s just what good fiction does. Since reading the book, I have found the Union Monitor even more enjoyable because I know a bit about the town and some of its residents.

LONG STORY SHORT: A THOROUGHLY ENJOYABLE READ.
Great review. Your wife thought you were weird!! Can you imagine trying to explain to someone outside the hobby. :D:D

· Registered
5,066 Posts
My wife thinks I'm weird. She also thinks I'm crazy. I given up on explaining anything trains to people outside the hobby.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.