Model Train Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
I just order off shapeways I will let you know by the 20th if I get my parts.
What are you looking at? Drive gears?
That is what I got. The designer was very helpful when I talked to him. James trains was the business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
451 Posts
I had some trouble with purchasing it at first, found out I hit a wrong button! All was fixed & good to go today.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
I have bought stuff ranging from1/72 and 1/48 scale nuclear bombs to 1/48 Hancock Air whistles from them. Never an issue....not cheap...but never had an issue!

Tom

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I just order off shapeways I will let you know by the 20th if I get my parts.
What are you looking at? Drive gears?
That is what I got. The designer was very helpful when I talked to him. James trains was the business.

Nope. I need the plastic axle for the split chassis Bachmann USRA 0-6-0, mine just cracked and the loco makes this horrible cracking sound while quite noticeably shuddering. View attachment 541900

·
Registered
451 Posts
Nope. I need the plastic axle for the split chassis Bachmann USRA 0-6-0, mine just cracked and the loco makes this horrible cracking sound while quite noticeably shuddering. View attachment 541900
I have hunted far & wide for replacement gears for my 4-8-4 bachmann with the split frame. When I found this site & got everything in order I bought 2 full sets the axles & drive gears! Lol
Just so 10 years from now I have a spare!!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have hunted far & wide for replacement gears for my 4-8-4 bachmann with the split frame. When I found this site & got everything in order I bought 2 full sets the axles & drive gears! Lol
Just so 10 years from now I have a spare!!

The split chassis are awful in that way, they burn through axles and gears faster than you can get them😣 They do pick up electricity well though.

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
I need some parts for an older model Bachmann that are no longer made. Would anyone recommend Shapeways?
Shapeways is a printing service, and their quality is excellent. Most of the things that they print and sell are designed by 3rd parties, and some of these are much better than others. You'll need to get a feel for whose products fit your needs, but I'd definitely recommend trying a few.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I will have to say , shapeways did come through!
I have 2 sets of gears & they arrived a few days sooner than expected!

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
This is what the future looks like. If someone takes the time to create the CAD model, literally any part can be replaced even when the original manufacturer is long gone. Now that the technology has really picked up speed in the last few years it won't be much longer before 3D printers are as common and easy to use as your typical paper printer. The next big step here will be simple machines that can grind up discarded filament or broken parts and produce new filament for the printers (yes, some are available now, but they're neither cheap nor easy to use).

What I'm really hoping to see is that we become less of a throw-away society when everyone can get replacement parts for very little cost.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I have been playing with 3D models for a while now. I am a prop makers, not for anyone, just myself.
I have 3D printed gloves for my IronMan suits along with a few other parts that was small.
I think I just might start to look into train parts! I almost did when looking for these gears! If shapeways would of not worked out I was talking to the designer of the files for them.
It is very cool how we can look at new technology & use it to restore old parts!

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Wait, you only 3D-printed the smaller parts, not the whole suit? I've seen various versions of the Ironman suit printed completely on an 8" bed. I don't think you're using your printer to its full potential... ;-)

·
Registered
451 Posts
Wait, you only 3D-printed the smaller parts, not the whole suit? I've seen various versions of the Ironman suit printed completely on an 8" bed. I don't think you're using your printer to its full potential... ;-)
Have you ever worn a printed suit?? It about as easy to move as rock!! I made mine to be comfortable & realistic. I do hospital visits for kids. I also figured out it is easier to repair fiberglass than replace a part that took 40 hrs to make. Lol
I have mad respect for the guys that do 3D print the whole thing!

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Yeah I don't know how they do it either. I have all the pieces printed for the gatling gun from War Machine (which required a number of modifications from the original files), and I've only glued together a couple pieces, let alone the bulk of it. And then there's the sanding, the painting... It's crazy. I think I'll stick to printing small stuff for my trains!

·
Registered
451 Posts
Lol yeah!! It took me about a year for one of my suits!! Trains are way better!!! Lol

1 - 18 of 18 Posts