Model Train Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My DB Br.120 ZDF Express started making a noise I had never heard beore the other night. On a third pass around the layout it stopped (with another moving train behind it) almost at Oberrittersgrün station. It didn't even make it to the wire.

I stopped the train behind it and pulled it from the track.

Opening it up I found the rear driveshaft pin was sheared clean off. Don't know why it failed and it seemed to come on rather sudden.

I've attempted to contact ACME in Italy, but have not heard from them yet about a replacement part.

Today, rather than having this locomotive out of service for what could be an extended time, I fixed it myself.

I purchased a set of Dremel micro bits to drill out the ball end of the shaft. The size was closest to 3/64" and I hand drilled the hole after starting it with the sharp point on a fresh Exacto #11 blade.

After drilling the hole, a short length of a jumbo paper clip of the correct diameter was cut and was afixed with CA glue. I allowed that to dry for an hour before re-installing and re-assembling the locomotive. The circuit card had to be desoldered from the motor and lamp wires and removed to access the motor for removal.

At this time, a new set of Viessmann pans was installed to replace the damaged pans from ACME. The Viessmann pans seem to be heavier-duty than the delicate pans that came on the model. I had to get two slightly longer machine screws to attach them because of the height of the mounting bosses on top of the locomotive. I still have to paint the insulators to match the rest.

It runs as good now as it ever did, but it has a slight growl because of that metal pin instead of the plastic that was on the end of the ball. If ACME ever contacts me I will order the original part and eliminate the growl.

Working as good as new now.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I’m working on a west side e-8 that has a comparable drive shaft to that but the drive shaft it has is all brass. You may be able to make a new drive line from parts nwsl or micro mark sells

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would like to replace it with a driveshaft fabricated from brass, but I wanted it fixed quickly for now. I'm going to buy some brass tubing and make a couple of driveshafts for this locomotive.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
the shaft can be repaired using styrene instead of brass ...
in any case, i -think- the brass would be noisier ??

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Nice repair. ut Acme products? seriously?

My DB Br.120 ZDF Express started making a noise I had never heard beore the other night. On a third pass around the layout it stopped (with another moving train behind it) almost at Oberrittersgrün station. It didn't even make it to the wire.

I stopped the train behind it and pulled it from the track.

Opening it up I found the rear driveshaft pin was sheared clean off. Don't know why it failed and it seemed to come on rather sudden.

I've attempted to contact ACME in Italy, but have not heard from them yet about a replacement part.

Today, rather than having this locomotive out of service for what could be an extended time, I fixed it myself.

I purchased a set of Dremel micro bits to drill out the ball end of the shaft. The size was closest to 3/64" and I hand drilled the hole after starting it with the sharp point on a fresh Exacto #11 blade.

After drilling the hole, a short length of a jumbo paper clip of the correct diameter was cut and was afixed with CA glue. I allowed that to dry for an hour before re-installing and re-assembling the locomotive. The circuit card had to be desoldered from the motor and lamp wires and removed to access the motor for removal.

At this time, a new set of Viessmann pans was installed to replace the damaged pans from ACME. The Viessmann pans seem to be heavier-duty than the delicate pans that came on the model. I had to get two slightly longer machine screws to attach them because of the height of the mounting bosses on top of the locomotive. I still have to paint the insulators to match the rest.

It runs as good now as it ever did, but it has a slight growl because of that metal pin instead of the plastic that was on the end of the ball. If ACME ever contacts me I will order the original part and eliminate the growl.

Working as good as new now.

MichaelE;

That was a nice repair. Let us know hoy the all-brass drive shafts work out.

If you have ever watched a road runner cartoon, you should know that Acme products never work right. Just ask Wile E. Coyote! He buys from them all the time with disastrous results! :laugh:

Have fun!

Traction Fan :smilie_daumenpos:

switch machine blue lever out.JPG

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The growl has stopped after I pulled the gearbox cover and loaded it with silicone grease.

I may forego fabricating brass driveshafts for as long as this one holds out. It wasn't the driveshaft making the noise. Lack of lube. There"s a lot of gears in there.

These new Viessmann pans are great too.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, and to you too.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

1 - 9 of 9 Posts