Model Train Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this elsewhere but it got quickly deleted. Frankly failing to recognize the obvious is somewhat disturbing.

Anyway, with travel restrictions and shelter in place requirements in Pennsylvania and other states how do you conduct business. Essential travel is defined as travel to the grocery store or an emergency doctor visit. While several options for shipping are available and these services may be considered essential, travel to their physical locations is not.

I guess most businesses can still ship since there products can be picked up. Home pickup may not be practical given the circumstances.

Delaware has blocked access to the state for all except residents or unless an emergency and we cannot get to our home in the OBX because Dare and Currituck counties have banned access and blocked travel across the bridge to all but residents or essential workers.

In Pennsylvania you can be stopped by the State Police and other law enforcement authorities if you attempt to go to New Jersey to buy liquor since the PA stores have been shut down.

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,033 Posts
So, I guess the main thing your asking is how do you get your liquor? :unsure:
What is OBX? you can't get to your home? You say they blocked access to all but residents and essential workers?
You can;t get in but your a resident?
I heard you can travel on the intrastate roads if your driving through Delaware, but if you venture off of them you could be stopped.
My local UPS store is open, stopped in the other day to return an item, no one but the worker was there.
I have been getting a lot shipped by UPS & USPS & Fedex to my house. They say that delivery times could be a lot longer but I have seen quicker times for most of them.
Hang in there this will pass shortly.

My hope is that all of this will reduce the USA and other counties to not depend on China for all of our needs.
Bring back manufacturing to here and other countries, if that is done China will drop back to once again being a third world country. They depend on everyone buying their cheap crap to live.
And I will point out it is not the people but the CCP ( Communist Party of China ) that we need to get rid of.
And little by little the Chinese people are revolting to get rid of them.
The CCP is the real threat.

And they are the ones that let this virus become world wide! :cool:

Reactions: cole226

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Ed – OBX is Outer Banks of North Carolina.
TJ – If you want to ship train stuff, the UPS store (at least the one near me in PA) is open. I was there the other day to ship something I had sold before things got bad and folks were practicing distancing. But why risk it? If I want to sell anything else, I think I will wait till things calm down.

·
Registered
9,897 Posts
You can call UPS and FedEx and request a pickup, too. They'll charge you for it, but they'll do it.

My gut feeling, though is that rumor and half-truth have made your situation sound much more severe that it really is. CT is under strict lockdown as well, but I can still run errands and send and receive packages.

And no, this isn't going to fix any company's relationship with China. That's a matter of economics, plain and simple. You would have to find Americans willing to work.for the low wages and minimal benefits that workers in Southeast Asia have. Or you have to find consumers willing to pay the higher prices that Western labor standards would force on manufacturers. Don't hold your breath waiting for either of those.

Reactions: bewhole

·
Registered
8,603 Posts
And no, this isn't going to fix any company's relationship with China. That's a matter of economics, plain and simple. You would have to find Americans willing to work.for the low wages and minimal benefits that workers in Southeast Asia have. Or you have to find consumers willing to pay the higher prices that Western labor standards would force on manufacturers. Don't hold your breath waiting for either of those.
Agreed....and don't forget, it was the capitalistic companies that moved their manufacturing to China, to take advantage of the lower labor rates so they could make more profits....nobody was forcing them to move the manufacturing to China....never forget that....

·
Registered
216 Posts
I agree....and won't forget. Lionel lost me when they did. Really doesn't matter I guess, since I collect postwar. It just bothered me. And I cringe at the "Made in China" on the box. I find it hard to believe people can get that Lionel feeling when they buy a new unit. I'm against throwing original boxes, but those can go. They mean nothing.

·
Registered
8,908 Posts
Well, I understand all viewpoints. My own is that I don't blame or care that Lionel, MTH, and others went or still go to China, on Korea or Indonesia or Mexico or wherever. And I don't mind products from anywhere if they are well made. I figure people anywhere have the right to compete as they want. If they can underbid Americans, then americans simplly need to work harder. The fact that we have the best eocnomy in the world speaks to me that we have - we chose to not make toys and toy locos and inexpensive clothes, but whatever we chose to make sure is working for us compared to the other guys.

What I do find hard to forgive is Lionel and Bachmann in particular, and MTH and Atlas to a lesser extent, pushing too hard to lower cost at the cost of quality. Particularly when companies like Bachmann design their products to be much more complex to assemble than they could be engineered, it is criminal to then push anyone - Chinese or American, to work every bit of cost out of the manufacture.

And I at least feel I have a right to buy Chinese because my personal balance of payments is positive. One of my books sells very well in China, more than making up for anything i buy, even including all thetrains i buy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts