Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for the silly question. If I were to want to find more passenger cars like this one (not hot glued to a flat bed), what would I search for, when would they have been in use and what would have pulled them?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
I think if you did a search for steam era passenger cars you probably could find something similar.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Go on Ebay, search for "HO Old time passenger car" and you'll find more than you can shake a stick at. IIRC they are 50' (or 60?) cars good for between the Civil War and about 1890. Best puller would be a 4-4-0 American though any old time engine would be appropriate (before say the 4-4-2 Atlantic or 4-6-2 Pacific Locos).

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
A lot of old western movies have 4-6-0s pulling those cars.

·
Registered
8,189 Posts
That flat car that the passenger car is sitting on is a 40-42 ft car, so that passenger car looks to be about the same length (body-wise).....

·
Registered
780 Posts
"Old time" or "overton" are a couple terms that will get you some results in the ebay passenger car section. There's tons of varieties and generally not too expensive.

Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
Roundhouse, and then Athearn, made some really nice ones.
Lots of them on eBay.

·
Registered
780 Posts
If you're looking for more modern short passenger cars, there are some options though nothing as short as the old-time, Overton or Overland cars.

In my collection I have Athearn Blue Box streamliners, Model Power Harriman and even some Life-Like (originally streamliners, all of which are shorter than prototype and designed to run on 18" curves. All of which you can find relatively affordably on ebay. Let me know and if you'd like I can measure them for you.

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
Rivarossi makes about the best 60-footers.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone. We have a few Riverrossi 85footers and some Pullman streamliners of the same length. I'm thinking of putting together a passenger train that can run on tighter radius turns. I have a small loop with some 15" curves in it.

·
Registered
8,189 Posts
Athearn passenger cars are about 60 scale feet long, and they will negotiate 18” curves, and even 15”....

·
Registered
625 Posts
Yes, it is a silly question. How can someone who's grown up in the USA and into trains not know this is a 19 century passenger/combine car ?! And why do you have it on top of the flat car in the first place in order to show it ? o_O

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sorry for the silly question. If I were to want to find more passenger cars like this one (not hot glued to a flat bed), what would I search for, when would they have been in use and what would have pulled them?

They are called Overton cars, but as someone else said, just search eBay for HO Old Time Passenger Cars. I just did and got back 124 listings.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Isn't it "Overland" cars ? No ?
Overton is correct. They are 34 foot cars, and depending on the brand, they can have a passenger seats add on installed as well. I just got last week 3 Overton Santa Fe cars but the paint job is rough, so I'll be working on them this week to make them look better.

Mine were made by Tyco/Mantua but I got all three for $10 plus $6 shipping, so I can live with the brand.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes, it is a silly question. How can someone who's grown up in the USA and into trains not know this is a 19 century passenger/combine car ?! And why do you have it on top of the flat car in the first place in order to show it ? o_O
Um... Thanks? I know next to nothing about trains. But my son loves them, so we got into the hobby. I'm fascinated with them, but never really out much thought into them. So...ya.

As to the flat car, that was someone else's doing... It has since been separated.

·
Registered
16 Posts
It always amazes me how every board always has some rude person on board that looks to brow beat others. These people must not have a life beyond their computer.

When I was a kid living in the southeast corner of Nebraska we had freight service to the town and each freight train hauled one short passenger car a few miles to Rullo where we could catch a main line passenger train. The car was vary small and basic with a pot bellied stove and wooden seats. I wish I could see a picture of it. This was late 1940s.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
I've looked at a lot of late 1800's era stuff and knew that 40' passenger cars were fairly common. This is the first I've heard of 34' cars, so thanks Larry for the tip!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts