Model Train Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
I simply agreed with OP's up front admission... How rude of you !...:mad:
Yea, if that makes it rite in "your" mind, good for you.
That's not the way your post came across to others, it was a putdown to the OP.
If it was in jest you should have used your little smiley face thingey to express your intention.
On another note you know what you can do with you little "red face", or should I say where you can put it !
Have a nice day..........T.C. :)

·
Registered
780 Posts
Thanks everyone. We have a few Riverrossi 85footers and some Pullman streamliners of the same length. I'm thinking of putting together a passenger train that can run on tighter radius turns. I have a small loop with some 15" curves in it.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Athearn cars will probably do 15" but that's pretty tight and you may still have problems. Is there any way to bump it out to 18"?

If 18" is not an option, you may want to look at Life-Like passenger cars. I think they are the shortest streamline cars you can buy -at least an inch shorter than Athearn- and their short trucks make them a better option for 15" curves. They are a bit dated and with their paper passenger-sillhouete windows they have the same vibe as classic Lionel passengers. However, usually they're lighted and you could replace the paper sillhouettes with some other material. Also, since they have similar coupler mounting as their freight cars, they can be easily retrofitted with KD couplers using #148 couplers and #212 Talgo coupler adapters.

They were originally made by Penn Line and sold under Varney and Hobbyline names so those are also names you might look for them under. As near as I can tell they were deliberately made to run on the 15" curves that were common on small layouts in the 50's. You will find quite a few examples of these types of "Tight curve" layouts in the classic -still in production since the 50's- "Track Plans for Model Railroaders".

These cars were in production for around 50 years so they are relatively common, cheap (especially at train shows) and available in quite a few liveries. A Life-Like Amtrak set was my first passenger car set and still a nostalgic favorite of mine. A few examples can be seen here, though there are many others:

Lastly, Tyco/Mantua is another Vintage brand you may want to look at for 15"-curve-compatible cars. They make short old-time wood passenger cars and also have a similar set of short streamline passenger cars with short wheelbase trucks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Glad you brought up the 18 inch radius. I'm trying to design a small layout and I've been out of the hobby for many years. I figured from past experience that 18" would be about as small as I could go. Bigger curves should be 22 to 24" on a dog bone design. Space is 7 1/2 feet by 12 feet in one end of my basement.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Our main layout has an 18" and a 22" loop. This layout will be an extra area just for dad and I'd space limited. I may be able to stretch then a bit, but I don't think they will be a full 18". I have run the F7s and 40ft box cars just give in 15".

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
The car in question looks like a Bachmann “Old Timer” (made in Hong Kong or China), or possibly an old Pocher/Rivarossi (made in Italy). Model Power also sold similar cars, some of which were made by Frateschi in Brazil. MDC/Roundhouse had slightly shorter cars they called “Overtons”, and similar but slightly longer ones they called “Overlands”. Early Tyco/Mantuas had two similar old time passenger cars, one version came with an arched roof, and a more modern one had a clerestory roof. Probably the Bachmann ones are the only ones currently available as current production, and they may even be out of production today, but all should be able to be found used on eBay or at train shows. The prototype time period would be from the 1860’s to the early 1900’s, and they would have been pulled behind early steam locos like 4-4-0’s or 2-6-0’s.

You should have little trouble finding cars to match, but will probably need to do coupler conversion if you are using Kadee style knuckle couplers, since they were likely manufactured during the NMRA X2f coupler era.

Good hunting,
Bill in FtL

·
Registered
780 Posts
I found the exact car for the old time combine first posted.
It's an AHM ( from Pocher ) Old Time Combine for the Western and Atlantic Railroad. You can see it and the other cars (coach and baggage) in the series here:

The unique feature of the AHM/Pocher model is the 7th window on the right side which is spaced differently than the others. Other brands (Model Power, Bachman, etc) seem to have the windows evenly spaced.

If this particular livery ( orange/yellow and grey W&ARR) is what you like you can find it sold as AHM and Pocher.

Some sellers will also call it Rivarossi, usually as "AHM/Rivarossi". I haven't figured out if it really was ever sold as Rivarossi (possible, but Rivarossi has a different old-time combine with evenly spaced windows ), but more likely it's just the way lots of sellers will slap the Rivarossi name on any AHM product listing to increase sales.

To be fair to today's sellers, AHM sold alot of product that was re-branded or co-branded Rivarossi. On the other hand they also sold alot of stuff from other manufacturers and it's not hard to learn which is which.

·
Registered
418 Posts
ROLL UP THEM PANT LEGS BOYS ITS GETTING DEEP!!! And bachmann made the Overton cars a while back if I remember correctly. You may still be able to buy them brand new

21 - 31 of 31 Posts