Model Train Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Past couple of months I have bought some of the newer SD70ace and ES44ac in the NS heritage schemes. I was not expecting much but the ones I ordered from the second run are really impressive.
Not only do they come with dcc and sound they also come with operating ditch lights, and they have ditch lights front and back.

The details are very nice and the paint is smooth and well done. Some of the grabs are seperatly applied but the ones on the nose are molded on, it is not that noticeable that they are.

Over all they really look and run great and Bachmann did a nice job on these. Kudos to them on upgrading there trains.

I am very happy with my purchases of these engines, I cannot afford allot money and these really fit the bill, I remember the days of low quality from Bachmann. I will not hesitate to buy more.

Dave

·
Premium Member
5,343 Posts
For the price they're going for, (mid to upper $90's w/sound) the Bachmann ES44AC is a terrific buy.
Yes, the nose & end grabs are molded-on, but the nose-top grabs are separately applied, handrails are close to scale, and they made a decent attempt at wipers. Plus well functioning lighting.
Smart purchase!

·
Premium Member
10,268 Posts
Just makes sense that they need to get better, if they want to continue to compete with the other train manufacturers.....

·
Registered
480 Posts
Past couple of months I have bought some of the newer SD70ace and ES44ac in the NS heritage schemes. I was not expecting much but the ones I ordered from the second run are really impressive.
Not only do they come with dcc and sound they also come with operating ditch lights, and they have ditch lights front and back.

The details are very nice and the paint is smooth and well done. Some of the grabs are seperatly applied but the ones on the nose are molded on, it is not that noticeable that they are.

Over all they really look and run great and Bachmann did a nice job on these. Kudos to them on upgrading there trains.
I am very happy with my purchases of these engines, I cannot afford allot money and these really fit the bill, I remember the days of low quality from Bachmann. I will not hesitate to buy more.

Dave
i have the EM1 for 6 years & i love it

·
Premium Member
5,343 Posts
Despite a reputation for pedestrian detail, Bachmann locomotives have improved somewhat in recent years.
Their rolling stock however, still has a long way to go.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Just makes sense that they need to get better, if they want to continue to compete with the other train manufacturers.....
Unfortunately they've gone backwards in some cases. I know they stopped making the Spectrum line of ten-wheelers and now only offer a red-box version which has lower-quality cast features. It's a shame because I really love the amount of detail from the Spectrum model I got recently, and had no problem paying the higher price for it.

·
Premium Member
5,343 Posts
It's interesting that Bachmann overall quality is where it is, while Walthers Mainline is generally much better at about the same available price, and with ProtoMax couplers.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Last night I swapped cabs on my ten-wheeler and discovered something interesting. Besides the other remarkable details I've seen, I noticed the cab windows actually open and close. It seems like a somewhat useless feature, but just the fact that someone actually thought of this and included it in the model is amazing.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree mainline Walthers models are fine locomotives but for me the adding some of the details like grabs and other details are a no go for me. I just can't do close work now a days. So Bachmann will be my choice for now even though some details are molded in but the ones that are there are the important ones for me.

Both are fine locomotives but for now Bachmann has the edge, for me because of my limitations.

Dave

1 - 9 of 9 Posts