Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 527 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,259 Posts
Both Erie Railroad prototypes, an Alco 0-8-8-0 "Angus" and a Baldwin Triplex, 2-8-8-8-2.

The Angus, when built in 1907, was the largest steam locomotive in the world....

Tom

·
Premium Member
3,259 Posts
The Baldwin Triplex was designed to haul freight at a decent speed over Gulf Summit, capable of pulling almost 300 cars. The problem was the draft gear(couplers) on freight cars of the time, were not able to withstand the large loads, so train lengths were still limited to around 100 cars.

The Triplex ended up being used for coal drags and as pusher locomotives on Gulf Summit for a fairly limited number of years. The engine was built with the idea of replacing three locomotives and crews with one locomotive and crew for pusher, helper service.

The problem was when the Triplex was out of service for repairs, they had to be replaced by three locos if another Triplex wasn't on hand.

·
Premium Member
3,259 Posts
Thanks guys.

They are the Premier series with the high rail wheels. They are unbelievably heavy. This is the first O scale I have purchased in over 20 years. I have some cheapie Lionel and K-Line stuff that I haven't run in years.

The 0-8-8-0 came as a set with five Erie coal hoppers and a bobber caboose.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,259 Posts
Arrived today....K-Line PRR B-6 0-6-0, a gently used gem. Here it is on the test track...a few added details coming soon...

Tom

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,259 Posts
Thank you guys. Of course K-Line gets all the credit!

I plan on just adding the whistle and bell lanyards running back to the cab, and perhaps a little extra piping on the front end.

A well made model right out of the box though. Thanks again!

Tom

·
Premium Member
3,259 Posts
Thanks, Pat. I have the A-5 from MTH. I love it! It is a chunky little engine!

I actually have another B-6, brand new in the box. It is another "505" so I have to part with one of them:( lol.

Tom

·
Premium Member
3,259 Posts
Thanks guys. The second B-6 came out to the test track today, along with my new(used) MTH PRR J-1. Both threw traction tires on my short test track. But the rest of the features work as intended.

The J is huge. I had it on my mantle for a couple days and today when I took it down to test it, I was afraid of dropping it on my Pug, who was sleeping right below! This engine is heavy! A bit of dust to remove, but otherwise a nice worker...

Tom

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,259 Posts
Beautiful E units! I love the B&O locomotives, the paint scheme gives them that sleek look that makes them look fast even though they are standing still!

They must pull like mules!

Tom

·
Premium Member
3,259 Posts
Ahh, little things only the owner might know about. Regardless, they are beautiful. The Pennsy units aren't bad looking either. I bet they look sharp pulling a string of Tuscan varnish....

Nice units!

Tom

·
Premium Member
3,259 Posts
Nice collection. Who made the PRR coaches?

The southern E is really sharp. I ran one when I was a Hostler. It was owned by New Jersey Transit, but it was still in the Southern Cresent colors.

Tom

·
Premium Member
3,259 Posts
Nice looking string of hoppers with the RS pulling! The salt complex looks sharp too.

I picked up a couple cars recently. First is a MTH PRR work train coach. I remember seeing many of these cars being scrapped in the Conrail era. They included any car from Coaches to sun solarium observation cars which the PRR gutted and turned into camp cars. I have a "Watch Your Step" from an old obs car.

Second is a Bobber caboose. This one is going to repainted into an early "Erie" scheme...

Tom

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,259 Posts
Bill, I like the Morton salt building.
Tom, the cars look nice. I don't have any MOW cars for my Pennsy collection. I like the MOW Coach.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Thanks Pat. I have a second one plus the 250 ton wrecker and flatcar. To bring up the hind end, I have the yellow MTH N-6 work caboose too. I wish they did a two bay hopper in the MOW yellow too.

I need to get them together for a work train portrait!

Tom

·
Premium Member
3,259 Posts
Thanks Pat! This engine runs nice on the test track and talk about smoke! I can't wait to get a layout set up.

Work train pictures coming soon!

Hey Erie, can you post photos of your finds?

Tom

·
Premium Member
3,259 Posts
PRR GE 44 Tonner from Williams

Thanks Joe! I love it!

Okay, in my L-1a post above, I said the MTH L-1a was my last PRR locomotive purchase. Let me clarify that I meant "steam locomotives"....lol.

I am planning a small switch layout for the time being and this diesel locomotive seemed like a perfect fit.

It is a GE 44 Tonner made by Williams. I found it at Trainworld and it was reduced in price by $100. Sweet.

It is pictured with some hoppers that I just added stirrups to...

Tom

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,259 Posts
Thanks, Joe. I want to design a switching layout that would fit in a 36"x80" area. I have a few switchers including this one that I could use.

Tom

·
Premium Member
3,259 Posts
Now, no offense to Krieglok. But John, I thought you knew that there is no such thing as a "cool" 44-Tonner, whether it's made by Williams or any other manufacturer.d

No uglier or more sorry-looking, boxy, style less switcher was ever made and any models of them should be expunged from the planet. But I thought you would've known that by now. :D:D:D
I guess I am a guy who likes mechanical, functionality and ugly aspects of various locomotives. I have a thing for box cabs, cab forward electrics, and other non steamlined engines.

Don't be too harsh of John, he was just being a polite host...lol:D

After all, who could despise a beautiful thing like this....

Tom

Attachments

1 - 20 of 527 Posts