Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 106 Posts

· Registered
1,846 Posts
These photos were taken with my Iphone, so they're not up to the standards most of you are used to. But here's a double headed Illinois Central SD40 with Pullmor motors and 12-wheel drive that I acquired over the summer, then found an inoperable one a year older. So, I took out the motors and MUed the two of them and they make a good team pulling one my freights circa late 1960s.

Then a couple of Atlas reefers, my first Atlas freight cars.

Then a K-Line reefer with a load of green banana bunches handing from the ceiling, my first K-Line freight car. Transport Train Vehicle Scale model Toy

Vehicle Metal

Scale model Vehicle

· Registered
1,846 Posts
Thank you, Bob. Fortunately, when I download the photos they come out at just the right size when they're uploaded to the posts. It took me awhile to figure this out, as I'm a little slower than most members on this forum. :D

Keith and John: the K-Line wood sided reefer came with the banana bunches and tiny hooks used to hang them. The roof snaps out, then you place the hooks though small holes in the tops of the bunches and hang them from the inside ceiling of the snap-out roof. Then when they're all hung (there's 12 of them), you just snap the roof back on and you have a loaded reefer. This was a pleasant surprise to me, as this is my first K-Line car.

Evidently, K-Line made other loads for these reefers as well. I think that the detailing on the K-Line cars are every bit as good as the Atlas reefers.

· Registered
1,846 Posts
Found a nice conventional Union Pacific steam locomotive with smoke and great tender sounds. It's a Lionel 4-6-4 "Hudson Jr.," although the UP never had any Hudsons. But I don't care. Also found an MTH woodside CA-1 caboose to go with it, both MIB at very reasonable pricing.

Not a very good photo, since it's presently atop my desk in the man cave. But after the holidays when the Polar Express is taken out of service, this will make a nice set for the layout freight train.

With an early Christmas present like this, I'm happy. :D

Plant Houseplant Herb Flower

· Registered
1,846 Posts
Here are some items that showed up on the same day. An MTH B&O wood side caboose.

View attachment 162890

A Menards Quaker State tank car next to my MTH Quaker State tank car I got at Christmas. I had to get the Quaker State cars since I worked in Oil City, Pennsylvania back when Quaker State still had their headquarters there.

View attachment 162898

Also, I my wife picked up a MisterRogers trolley. She said it was a must have since we watched MisterRogers and even took the kids to the MisterRogers park at Idlewild in Ligonier when they were little and rode the trolley there.

View attachment 162906
I like your MTH woodside caboose. I have the same model in Union Pacific bringing up the rear of a steam-engined freight train. I love the illuminated lanterns on the rear platform and wish more manufactures had them on their cabeese. :)

· Registered
1,846 Posts
I was in need of another tank car, so found this on Ebay, new for 9 bucks and couldn't pass it up. All of my freight cars have sprung metal trucks, so this one filled the bill nicely.

Transport Vehicle Scale model Train Rolling stock

I'd removed the elevated track off the layout recently, returning to 2-train operation and had all of these dowels I didn't know what to do with. So added some side stakes to an ATSF flat car and made a log load for it.

Transport Scale model Track Vehicle Train

· Registered
1,846 Posts
The tank car and logs look super, Vern. Making the log load form material you had on hand makes them special.

I'm just curious, why did you remove the elevated line?
Thank you, Joe. The elevated line was removed mostly because it was just too noisy when 3 trains were running simultaneously on this relatively small 88 sq. ft. layout. Couldn't even carry on a conversation with visitors. One of the drawbacks of using Fastrack I guess. It's a little quieter with 2 trains.

Also makes it easier to clean track and access everything along with an unobstructed view of the whole layout.

Wow! I just made engineer by responding to your question. Thanks again, Joe!

· Registered
1,846 Posts
Very nice loco, John. I am a fan of Challengers even though I don't have any interest in western railroads.
Joe! How can you say that?!

And I'm relieved to learn that you finally 'gave in,' John.

Don't you guys know that the western railroads are where it's at? Where have you been all your lives?

Even in the old days, the Northern Pacific, Great Northern, Southern Pacific, Union Pacific, and the Santa Fe all had longer routes than the New York Central and Pennsylvania.

Western roads rock! :D

1 - 20 of 106 Posts