Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 856 Posts

·
Admin
47,477 Posts
I got the photos to work John. Thanks!

This MTH Premier PS1 F3 set just arrived yesterday. It looks like new, has very little wear. Now I just have to get it out of Reset mode. I got it for a great price because the seller told me it was on the shelf for years and was stuck in Reset.
First step is to replace the battery. That may do the trick. If not, drop me a line, you can ship me the boards and I can do a reset on them with my reset kit. Worst case is you need a top board, still fairly cheap.

Just to confirm, it starts up and gives you the two dings, and then won't do anything, is that the situation?

·
Admin
47,477 Posts
I just had one with two dings and no motion. Putting a new battery in was all it required. It had the old white battery, which was long past it's usable life. That may be all yours requires.

FWIW, a general tip with PS/1 is to check the batteries after a long storage time before you ever power them up. The older sound chips have a tendency to scramble the memory and require the reset.

·
Admin
47,477 Posts
Well, no chance of upgrading to Legacy, unless you cannibalize a Legacy locomotive. There are no Legacy upgrade parts available. You can buy some of the boards, but specifically the sound stuff is tightly controlled.

You can, of course, upgrade it to TMCC or PS2 ( PS3 now, no more PS2 kits ).

·
Admin
47,477 Posts
You can't really keep the sound from PS/1. There was a board in the way back history called the Equalizer that did that, but DD went out of business. TAS also had a product that melded the two, but they're also out of business.

The only game in town nowadays for TMCC upgrades is The Electric Railroad (ERR). They have a limited number of sound boards with canned sounds. You can listen to the sounds if you visit the site, click on the Purchase link, and then the RailSounds products link. There is a link to the sound clips for each audio board.

·
Admin
47,477 Posts
Sounds like F3 F7 is the closest sound. TMCC & that sound? Will you do it?
I can certainly do it, it'll be most likely after Christmas at this point. I'm soon going "under the knife" for cataract surgery in early November, and I suspect for a spell my vision will be suspect, they do the second eye a month later. I'm thinking I may have trouble doing fine bench until it's all done and I get my final set of glasses for close work. I don't want to make commitments I can't meet.

·
Admin
47,477 Posts
I picked up my first LC+ locomotive, the Camelback. It's actually a nice little locomotive, and one of the first that was actually scale sized. The sound isn't up to Legacy quality, they appear not to have multiple channel sound for the LC+ stuff, but it's certainly not bad.

·
Admin
47,477 Posts
I'm leaving the shell off until I get the BCR, a couple of the standoffs broke off when I took the screws off the B unit. That's what I get for looking to see if there was anything inside.
Mark, I repair the standoffs using brass tubing and JB-Weld. If they're just cracked, I just slip a small length of tubing on them and fill them with JB-Weld, then drill the hole again. If they're really busted, I put the tubing over the break and glue the pieces together with JB-Weld. In some cases, I've just used the tubing and filled it with JB-Weld to recreate the post.

1 - 20 of 856 Posts