Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
845 Posts
Thanks Joe and PTC. I also purchased a matching set of seven Lionel, 21" cars from 2015 Vol. 2 (4-pack, 2-pack, & station sounds diner). It makes a pretty impressive train. I'm just now getting into passenger trains. These 21" cars are cool and a great match for the Third Rail engines. While I have O72 curves, I still feel they are little large for my current layout. I'm actively searching for a new house with a bigger basement!

·
Registered
845 Posts
Most of my trains are cab unit diesels and passenger cars. I decided to put together a more modern intermodal train. There is a yard near my house that older folks, like my dad, refer to as "Frisco Yard". It's right on the interstate so you can see loads of engines there anytime you drive by. In my memory, it was a Burlington Northern yard. Of course, now it's a BNSF yard. I believe it's actual name is BNSF Lindenwood Yard. Anyway, I think the modern orange BNSF paint schemes are pretty dismal so I bought these MTH engines instead.

Transport Train Locomotive Vehicle Rolling stock

Transport Train Railway Vehicle Scale model

Land vehicle Vehicle Transport Train Locomotive

Land vehicle Vehicle Transport Train Mode of transport

·
Registered
845 Posts
I keep forgetting about this thread. I have been looking for some GM&O diesels. As usual in this hobby, when it rains it pours. I had a preorder in for Mr. Muffins custom run MTH RS-1. While I was waiting on that, In January, Trainz listed a different MTH RS-1 and an F3 ABA. Now, they're all here and I officially have too much GM&O. :)

F3 ABA MTH 20-20157-1 PS2 3v from the 2011 Vol. 1 catalog
Train Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Rolling stock

Train Rolling stock Vehicle Toy Mode of transport

Alco RS-1 MTH 30-20082-1 PS3 from 2012 Vol. 1 catalog
Train Vehicle Rolling stock Toy Track

Alco RS-1 MTH 30-20869-1 PS3 2022 custom run still available from Mr. Muffin's
Train Vehicle Wheel Track Rolling stock

·
Registered
845 Posts
Locos are nice. I like the look of your layout. I did the same with the recessed top and finished sides (Danish oil). I hand picked the pieces at Home Depot to get the equivalent of #1 dimensional lumber for the sides.
Thanks, Mike. Yeah, I used regular 1x pine. Rather than route the tops edges, I just knocked them down with a plane and sanded everything. Then a little stain and poly. I faced screwed with brass screws and finish washers. Super simple but not crude and a decent look. Unfortunately, it's about the only thing I like about the layout!

·
Registered
845 Posts
Bill, yeah, I resisted for a while. I figured Berwyn's would sell out. But I kept checking back and they still had them. You know how it goes. One day, I had the dough and I checked again. Then I didn't have the dough anymore! 😋

·
Registered
845 Posts
Those are great looking locomotives! I like the added details like the lift rings, grab irons and firecracker antenna. Nice acquisition!

I don’t know why MTH didn’t make roof antennas a standard detail on their premier engines. Some had them, some didn’t.

The only MP loco I have is the GP35 in Union Pacific colors with Missouri Pacific lettering...

Tom
Tom, I have a GP38-2 in that paint. Is that what you have? If not, I'd like to know the model # so I can look for it. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts