Model Train Forum banner

4801 - 4820 of 4850 Posts

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
This set followed me home from a show near Toledo, OH this afternoon. I believe it's a partial Lionel 1091(?) set from 1938 consisting of a 1666E locomotive followed by a 2689W tender, a 2679 boxcar, a 2680 tank car and a 2682 caboose. Unfortunately I'm missing the boxcar and there don't seem to be too many 1938 ones out there at the moment so I'll have to keep an eye out for one. The 1938 ones had nickel plated journal boxes whereas the later ones had blackened ones. I haven't serviced the locomotive or tender yet, but I don't suspect they'll give me much trouble. At the very least, the locomotive will need new pickup shoes as the original ones are pretty worn. The original locomotive paint is in very nice shape as is the paint on the freight cars. The tender is a bit worse for wear as far as paint condition, but not the worst I've seen.

23CCB68D-8D35-43E9-9344-2BE5B56BBE98.jpg

69B47A38-E8BB-40A0-B000-E11EFE18F288.jpg

01ADF92C-A06D-4745-BFDA-C42DBA4FB59E.jpg

·
Registered
493 Posts
The coaches are Atlas California Zephyr that I picked up from ebay NIB for a great deal last year. I just got them out since I finally had prototypical locomotives to pull them. I just got the low mileage Lionel Legacy F3's from a local seller.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Found a couple of N and W Js. that needed a stripe. Harry Hieke changed the stripes, lightly weathered the 611 Spirit of Roanoke, and weathered the 600 for normal non-main line action.

Here they are with the Pocahontas J from several years ago.
They look great. I love the picture of your 3 J's lined up.

·
Admin
43,209 Posts
I'm having trouble wiping the smile off my face, got a really good deal on the Lionel Legacy Reading T1 and nine MTH Premier Reading passenger cars, couldn't pass it up! $750 for all of them! I thought I got a good deal when I bought my first Legacy Reading T1 for $800 NIB, I think this tops that one! They're all like-new, and run perfectly. All but one of the passenger cars are new enough to already have LED lighting and passengers, so they're "ready to run". :)

Lionel Legacy Reading T1 #2124.png

·
Registered
508 Posts
yeah really nice!!!!!! someday if I ever venture out of the Post War.. ill buy some big boy locos!!!! :cheeky4:

p.s. wife will not approve that purchase but $8k on a disney cruise... shed book in minutes...

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'm having trouble wiping the smile off my face, got a really good deal on the Lionel Legacy Reading T1 and nine MTH Premier Reading passenger cars, couldn't pass it up! $750 for all of them! I thought I got a good deal when I bought my first Legacy Reading T1 for $800 NIB, I think this tops that one! They're all like-new, and run perfectly. All but one of the passenger cars are new enough to already have LED lighting and passengers, so they're "ready to run". :)

View attachment 529838

https://youtu.be/hvjehUCqvYQ
Wow, that`s a beauty...:thumbsup:

·
Admin
43,209 Posts
It was a surprise when he told me the price. The T1 was $400, the nine cars were $350. The deal was certainly the T1, I was happy to get my other one at $800 NIB, so this one like new for half that was... amazing! The cars were about 40% of the MSRP, and they're all like new, so not a bad deal there either. I was looking for a nice Reading passenger set, and one fell into my lap! :D

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Maxim, beautiful train consist. It is really impressive. I love the actual noise the cars make as they roll by. You layout also makes me envious!

John, I get the impression you like Reading! The engine and cars look great. Is that your layout? Were the real Reading T1s used for freight or passenger service?

Tom

·
Admin
43,209 Posts
I'm a PRR and Reading guy, but I also have significant investment in Union Pacific and C&O. There's a smattering of other road names, but those are the predominant names.

The table is the permanent layout, the Fastrack is just laying there for testing until I get my Gargraves/Ross track/switches down.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
A few years ago, I got a NOS (vintage 2003) set of five PRR Premier Madison passenger cars along with a two-car set. It was unusual that the five-car set had 2 baggage cars and no obs. The train just doesn’t look right to me without an observation car on the end so I’ve been looking for one. They only come in sets so I had to count on a set breakup which I haven’t seen. The other day I went ahead and got another five-car set (vintage 2015) since I wanted that one car. So now I have a dozen 18” Madisons. I like the lighted marker lights and I’ll probably keep the incandescent lights for them even if I LED the car. And I’ll probably see a set breakup next week.

IMG_4843.JPG

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Nice observation car. They also existed as business cars. I have seen photos of the EL yard in Hoboken where they had three or four observation cars stored in the depot back in the 60’s...

Speaking of EL, here is my latest acquisition. A MTH Rail King GP7 and a MTH bay window caboose...

Tom

Attachments

4801 - 4820 of 4850 Posts