Model Train Forum banner

4901 - 4920 of 4948 Posts

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
The Erie 4-6-0s had the steam dome and sand box ahead of the cab on the boiler top. I have thought about getting a average MTH or Lionel engine and converting it into a “more“ Erie pattern....

Tom

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Thanks Mike. I took the pic with a crappy iPad camera, so the tiny faults are hidden...lol.

yes, clear coated with Scale Coat satin ...

Tom

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
After nearly three weeks of waiting, my Legacy Shay finally arrived in this afternoon's mail. The seller dropped it off at the local post office in Tennessee and then there was nearly a two week wait before it was ever scanned to depart. It made great progress on its trip over this past weekend and finally arrived today. Upon opening the box there was a moment of disappointment. I quickly noticed that one of the tiny little shoulder screws that hold one of the drive shaft universal joints together was missing and the one directly across from it was nearly ready to fall out too. Since this locomotive is driven through the drive shaft, it's rather important that all the screws are present to operate it. I called Lionel and got a part number for the screws and have one plus a lot of extras coming since I'm sure it won't be the last time one goes missing. I'm sure it backed itself out while the previous owner was operating it and it went unnoticed. Somebody in China was asleep at the workstation when it was assembled as I found probably half a dozen other screws on the locomotive that also needed tightening. I think the previous owner mainly displayed it, so it probably never had the opportunity to show its issues during operation.

One other gripe is that upon disassembling it to check for other loose screws I quickly discovered that the owners manual had totally incorrect directions for the whistle-steam feature. It's described as a single smoke unit that operates both the stack and the whistle, however there are indeed separate smoke units for each that need to be filled independently. The manual, in bold letters, tells you to add fluid to the main stack only.

After all that, I tied the universal joint together with a piece of wire so I could at least test it all and it runs great. I'm looking forward to the next club event (whenever that might be...) so I can give it a proper run. In the mean time it's looking pretty nice in my lighted display case waiting for its parts to arrive.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Thanks John.

Yes, the lighting isn't perfect by any means but also looks much better in person than in the photos. My grandpa and I built that case many years ago and I retrofitted it with LED lighting. I used the LED tape strips and basically laid a strip in down one side, across the bottom and back up the other side. I can't remember why I didn't run them across the top too. Some locomotives look odd with the lights on, but others look pretty neat with the running gear highlighted.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Jake, might pay to use a spot of medium strength loctite on those screws. Gotta love the shays!
I've definitely been thinking about doing something along those lines. It'd probably save a lot of headaches in the future.

Shays are great fun to watch running. Someday I'll have to go see a real one run. 😁

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
I really like the Shay locomotive. That is a very nice model.

You might get away with some clear nail polish on the screw too, or Loc-Tite green thread locker. I don't know that I would use the blue on such small screws. The blue is great for scope rings and mounts and such, but might be a little overkill for really small screws. Especially if they have to ever be removed.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Definitely a good point about the strength vs. screw size. Thanks for mentioning that. I probably have something on-hand that'll work well enough. If you want something more fun than trying to remove a screw with blue Loctite, the red stuff is a lovely challenge 😄

·
Admin
43,464 Posts
I wrapped up my Amtrak SuperLiner consist. I had eight coaches, so plenty of seats for passengers, but they were all going hungry, and losing their sleep. So we had to remedy that shortcoming.
I picked these up NIB, they were never unwrapped. I have been in the lookout for the transition sleeper to let me toss in a few single deck Amtrak cars for a little variety, finally spotted one.

Clearly, these will need my LED upgrade before they go into revenue service, they're already pretty warm sitting on the track at 18 volts!

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
I use blue all the time on small screws. If there's any significant resistance to removing them, just set a soldering iron on the head for a few seconds and try again.
Another good tip. I probably wouldn't have put two and two together to use a soldering iron as a heat source. We use torches at work all the time to heat things up when removing stuff that was assembled with blue or red Loctite, but obviously that'd be way overkill for a tiny screw on a model ...

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
I kind of like the sleeper the way it is. Looks like some folks have gone to sleep and some are night owls.

And I don’t get the transition sleeper. It looks like it’s the same height along the entire length. I thought it was supposed to be low at one end and high at the other.

4901 - 4920 of 4948 Posts