Model Train Forum banner

4921 - 4940 of 4948 Posts

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
If you look at the diaphragms and end doors you'll see where the difference lies. On normal high level cars, the pass through doors to walk between cars are on the upper level. On the transition cars, there's a high door on one end and a normal height door on the other to match regular passenger cars.

·
Admin
43,464 Posts
The door on the back is at the height of the single deck cars. I would be nice to have been like the K-Line model, obviously MTH just took a different route. However, it will look like it mates up with the single deck cars, so I'm happy with it.

FWIW Bob, the constant height of the transition car is prototypical, here's the real thing.

Here's the K-Line K4603-33900 Amtrak Superliner 18" Transition Sleeper #39000, looks just like my car. I'm not sure what the one with the two levels is, but it may be a fantasy piece.

Here's the K-Line K4603-43900 Amtrak 21" Superliner Transition Sleeper, still the same full size with just the offset door.

AAMOF, I can't find any pictures of the sloped one you refer to, but I have seen it in the past, so I know it exists.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
I believe the cars you're thinking of were built for the Santa Fe's "El Capitan" train sets and definitely made a cleaner looking transition than the modern version. I think K-Line made a version of it but see to recall that they're rather difficult to find.

I'm not sure if any are still in service, but I also seem to recall that much of the early fleet of bi-level's that Amtrak had originated from the Santa Fe "El Capitan."

·
Admin
43,464 Posts
That's the car, and I know I have seen a picture of a K-Line rendition. It must be rare, because I couldn't find it.
I can see why Amtrak decided to do the transition the way they did, it's very little difference than the standard car, so it saved a bunch of money I suspect. The transition car also has more usable space being a double-decker.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
The New York Central and its subs have been acquiring some motive power from other roads. This was recently purchased from the L&N. In addition to a new paint job the drawbars were shortened and a deck and curtains added.

Pete

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
There is a picture of the K-Line transistion car in this thread.

Also there is one for sale as part of a set on OGR right now. Prices on these sets tend be among the highest for just about any passenger set save the Smithsonian NYC cars. This one is no exception.

Then again someone got a deal a while back. This could be on Antiques Roadshow.

Pete

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
I was aware it was sold out at Grahams. Just posted the link to show what K-Line cars once sold for. You would be lucky to get that set for ten times that today.

Pete

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I've been stimulated.

Arrived today along with the stimulus check to pay for it. I got a good deal on eBay for this mint 2001 Williams GS4 and there's still $1K left of the stimulus check.

I have the full complement of 7 Williams Crown Edition extruded aluminum passenger from the 80's. I also have a 2000 Williams F7 ABA with dual motors in both A units and QS1 electronics. The diesels headlined the SP Shasta Daylight. The GS4 pulled the SP Coast Daylight..

My pic, Williams stock pic and some pics of the passenger cars and ABA.

·
Admin
43,464 Posts
Picked up this little gem cheap as it had some wiring issues with the tether. It's the MTH Premier Dreyfuss with PS/2. It originally came with the 5V board, but that was replaced with a 3V board, but the previous owner couldn't get the tether sorted out. For $250, it was mine, and I fixed the tether.

Since I already had it open, I added an LED headlight, one of my favorite upgrades for most locomotives. I added a BCR clone, and a tender pickup roller. Although this is a fairly large locomotive, the two rollers are closely spaced, only 3" apart. That's a recipe for stalling on switches, the extra roller is my fix. Since the board is in the locomotive (rare for PS/2, usually only early 5V models), you get complete control of the lighting features. The ground lights, headlight, and cab light are all independently addressed, a nice touch.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
The three truck shays are very cool. I don't have one but did purchase a Westside Lumber shay for a friend and got to play with it for a while. Have fun Jake.
I have a very unprototypical NYC two truck shay by K-Line along with some matching log cars. NYC actually had a few shays but they had cover them up so not to scare the horses. True story.

Pete
I just had to drag this comment back from a couple pages back when we were discussing Shays. Pete, you might be pleased to know that I don't think your shay is as unprototypical as you might think it is. I just found info that says the NYC owned a second hand two truck 60 ton shay that was #10 (I believe the K-Line model wore #10?) that was used in Ohio between 1931 and 1935. Assuming the info on this page is accurate, I don't believe it was among the shrouded locomotives. The K-Line locomotive is allegedly modeled after a 60 ton shay, so there you go 😁

Photo & some info linked below:

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Interesting Jake. I had never heard of that subsidiary. Wonder if it got relettered? Thanks for the link. BTW the shrouded shays ended up in western New York including Rochester working the Genesee river gorge but were long gone before I got here.
Pete

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Interesting Jake. I had never heard of that subsidiary. Wonder if it got relettered? Thanks for the link. BTW the shrouded shays ended up in western New York including Rochester working the Genesee river gorge but were long gone before I got here.
Pete
It didn't dawn on me that it ended up as a NYC subsidiary. Must not have been a hotspot for fan photos at that time as I haven't found any photos of it in my brief search.

·
Registered
5,668 Posts
Picked up this little gem cheap as it had some wiring issues with the tether. It's the MTH Premier Dreyfuss with PS/2. It originally came with the 5V board, but that was replaced with a 3V board, but the previous owner couldn't get the tether sorted out. For $250, it was mine, and I fixed the tether.

Since I already had it open, I added an LED headlight, one of my favorite upgrades for most locomotives. I added a BCR clone, and a tender pickup roller. Although this is a fairly large locomotive, the two rollers are closely spaced, only 3" apart. That's a recipe for stalling on switches, the extra roller is my fix. Since the board is in the locomotive (rare for PS/2, usually only early 5V models), you get complete control of the lighting features. The ground lights, headlight, and cab light are all independently addressed, a nice touch.

View attachment 542624
Terrific upgrades John, you ended up with a great steamer.

Bill

4921 - 4940 of 4948 Posts