Model Train Forum banner

4961 - 4980 of 5005 Posts

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Not a big deal but you might find this interesting.

Normally, when the gun is limbered up for travel, the barrel and breach block would be slid back so the breach rests on the triangle device that is mounted on the trails. It actually locked there as to prevent movement in the gun mount while traveling over rough terrain. Here is a 155 in travel mode...

Here is a 8” Projectile for the gun you modeled. It is on the right. part of my shell collection..
Thanks Tom. I’ll have to see if I can slide mine back. See above comment about letting the paint cure before you slide it in. Looks like you have the much cooler Long Tom version.

And I hope you keep your shell collection on the ground floor. They like they weight a bit.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
You are welcome Bob. The model I have pictured is a 1/32 scale 21st Century Toys. They made great stuff in many scales. Tanks, gun, airplanes etc. They went out of business a few years ago.

The shell is a inert M404 anti personnel round. It was designed to be an air burst round that scattered many tiny AP mines over a given area. Nasty stuff from the Vietnam era. It is in my basement with a few other shells. It is about 150lbs empty. If it was live, it would be well over 250lbs. The shell next to it is a 90mm tank round. It is the gun used in the Pershing and early Patton tanks. The projectile is an armor piercing round that was fired and then dug out of a hill at Fort Drum, NY....

Tom

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
I like the Reading style caboose Jake. The WM 1874 (and 29 others like it) was built in 1940 at a cost of $3684.61 each.
Thanks for that info! I looked a little bit at the WM prototypes but never located a great history online. I also didn't look very hard so I guess that'll give me something to do in the future.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
I got it from Reading Company Cabooses by John W Hall. There is a chapter on Foreign Roads that either copied the Reading design like WM or had the Reading build them cabooses like L&NE.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
I got it from Reading Company Cabooses by John W Hall. There is a chapter on Foreign Roads that either copied the Reading design like WM or had the Reading build them cabooses like L&NE.
Interesting. Until you mentioned the "Reading Style" caboose in your initial comment, I hadn't really compared the Lionel model in much detail to the WM prototype. I know Lionel generically refers to that caboose style as a "northeastern" caboose, so I figured it probably wasn't perfect but close enough. I suppose that copied design thing would be the reason it actually is pretty close in appearance to the real thing.

I plan to eventually get some coal hoppers to put between the Shay and the caboose. Even if they're not all perfect, it doesn't really matter since the Shay isn't either for that train with it's preservation era paint stripes 😁

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I thought there should be Mike, any idea if anyone still has these in stock? :p:p
John, I think your kidding but just in case ...

93firebird is correct. These are the boxcars that Lionel will personalize direct from their website. You create the image and get several lines of text to fill in under the pre-printed "Thanks for Your Service" line. You could put your a picture of your ship (along side that mug shot ;) ). I don't have any experience ordering one, just some examples from other members.

Here's the Lionel Link

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Grzyboski's had a deal I couldn't refuse on the two three packs of Lionel Western Maryland 2 bay hoppers. They had the lowest price by far to begin with when I first saw them listed a couple weeks back but they lowered it by another $30 to $100 each before I looked last night so I had to bite. They'll be perfect behind my WM shay when they arrive.

D3178B5E-359B-497A-A223-E23F9C976CC4_1_201_a.jpeg

·
Registered
415 Posts
A local fella was selling off some of his late father's collection on Craigslist. I managed to acquire from him a Williams GG1 4876 stock #74401, 4 different K-Line 8580-xxxx Streamline passenger cars. A Lionel 2046 steamer & 2046 whistle tender. Pictures to come later. This new MS Edge browser is flaky right now when it comes to saving & loading images.

·
Admin
43,708 Posts
This new MS Edge browser is flaky right now when it comes to saving & loading images.
Consider an alternate browser, I use Firefox and I have zero issue with loading and saving images. :)

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,526 Posts

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
I got some NIB MTH SD-35s. These are some nice engines. I’m a PRR fan, but I don’t have too many DGLE PRR diesels since they are not the most colorful. But the price was right and I’m happy with these 2008 vintage PS2 3V locos. There is a grill over the exhaust, but the brake blister can be removed so it’s easy to load smoke fluid. There is so much smoke that it leaks from the seams of the removable section. The sound is good with not too much blower whine. The battery checks OK, but I’ll probably replace it with one of GRJ’s SBRs. The dummy has lights, but I wish the markers were lit and not everything else. The light from the number boards bleeds into the cab. The last shot here is with the interior lights turned off. I’ll take a look at that when I replace the battery. They look good running down the track.

4961 - 4980 of 5005 Posts