Model Train Forum banner

5001 - 5020 of 5021 Posts

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
I was able to cheat on this one and got a front from Lionel used on a Vision engine. Then just swapped the headlight and number plate. I have relettered a few of those and found it to be a PITA so now either stay with the original number change the headlight/tailight if available. For NYC Niagaras, Precision Scale actually makes a set of number plates for the Niagara numbers 6001-6010. That would have required only changing the headlight number.

This is a 3rd Rail Niagara that arrived as 6024 also. It has a PSC number plate. I think 6024 Niagaras are as plentiful as 5344 Hudsons. Everyone including MTH has done a 6024. For the headlight I printed the number using a laser printer on transparency.

·
Admin
43,826 Posts
Gonna' call you Sneaky Pete, great solution! I wondered how you got those so perfect. :D I do a similar thing with the printing for number boards and headlights, but the metal plate would be more of a challenge to make it look right.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
... For the headlight I printed the number using a laser printer on transparency.
What type of media? I tried putting a sheet of semi-transparent cut from a laminating sheet. The heat from the laser printer's fuser distorted the plastic sheet.

·
Registered
4,180 Posts
I picked up a couple of MTH 100 Ton map hoppers. The LVRR is one of those cars that I saw in the catalog and said “meh”. It was just issued, caught my eye and I had to have it. Then I decided to look for more. Found the PRR (issued a year or so ago) at the Caboose Stop in Cedar Falls.

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,721 Posts
Do you know if they had real hoppers with the map on it?
The original LV map box car still sits in my town.
Filled with hay.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
I feel like I finally arrived in 3 rail. Most of my life my only AC transformer was a 1033. I picked up a Z4000 last year but now with the demise of MTH I decided I needed a backup. I know how complicated Z4000s are and given they rely on cpu board, if that board ever goes its nothing more than a doorstop. I only had to clean this up. I don't think anyone has been inside as its all original. Even the cord is intact and supple with no cracks. I have a fast TMCC breaker now for TMCC applications but intend to get a couple DCC Specialties PSX-AC breakers as those can be used for conventional as well as command operation.

Pete

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Nice! They made great, last forever products back then. The breaker info is handy. Thanks for that.

I have a couple old timers myself. They may see use if my MRC ever craps out.

I bought the two Lionel transformers used and cleaned them up with a little auto wax...

Tom

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
While the ZW is "king of the hill", KWs are extremely cool.

I picked up a VW for $25 from a Northwestern NJ seller. Needs a cord and the name plate. I'll pick that up on my next order at Train Tender.

It was in pristine condition and all the handles turn smoothly. Apparently the older couple didn't know what they had. They called it a Lionel "controller". I don't feel bad. Their (new) house was in a private community. I estimate 3,500 Sq ft.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Around here (medium city Midwest) $25 would be a fair price for a VW in that condition, so I wouldn’t feel bad at all.

Can’t go wrong with a postwar transformer. Nothing to go wrong in there, just need to change the rollers when/if they get worn down. I’ve go six ZWs and a VW powering my layout. Use a TW on the test bench, and have a few 1033s, a KW and one or two others.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Here’s my latest, a 2359 B&M GP-9. At one time I had all of the regular run geeps, but sold all but the 2338 Milwaukee Road (in two variations). But, I always liked the paint scheme on the B&M, so picked this one up, and am now on the hunt for a 2346!

C343EC9C-0577-4E64-8802-214263F5EF50.jpeg

5001 - 5020 of 5021 Posts