Model Train Forum banner

5081 - 5100 of 5129 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
(y) (y)
That's a great scene - nicely done! There's something about a string of reefers and those engines are wonderful beasts.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I did a Canadian National re-decorate on a Lionel Alaska 2-8-2 recently, seen here upstaging a Williams CPR combination.
As one of the few without feedwater heaters, I went with that number.....even if the sand dome isn't in the right spot. 3465 in early CN scheme can be found down the page here: Harold A. Skaarup Web page
IMG_0557.JPG

I haven't found any photos of 3465 in this "modern" scheme, so I'm uncertain if it had a straight or angled tender emblem. I tried the 9 deg. angle but it just looked plain crooked, so did it this way. Maybe CN had the same rule of thumb - do what's pleasing to the eye 😉

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Cool. Never enough Canadian railroads!

Here is a recent creation of mine...a Weaver car decorated with K4 decals...

Tom

·
Registered
33 Posts
Cool. Never enough Canadian railroads!

Here is a recent creation of mine...a Weaver car decorated with K4 decals...

Tom

Nice! I'm taking note of that one - haven't seen it before (y)(y)

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Thanks!

It might need a darker green. I had an Atlas N scale ONT boxcar many years ago. It was in the 1970’s scheme with the stylized ON on the side. It was a little bit darker. They had the earlier scheme in boxcar red too. That is my next project...

Tom

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Picked up a conventional Lionel 0-6-0T for a relettering and weathering project. I plan on doing it as a Hanna Furnace switcher. Hanna Furnace was a blast furnace operation in Lackawanna, NY...

Tom

·
Admin
44,361 Posts
Picked up a project set, they don't run, but I suspect I can remedy that. They were a gift, so I can't complain about them not running! Two powered and all have smoke. I'm guessing they have the same issue as a similar set I have in for repair, the K-Line cruise modules burn up!

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Can’t go wrong with Santa Fe F units. They look great!

Tom

·
Registered
531 Posts
Well, the MTH Premier Big Boy I ordered almost a year ago finally arrived. It has really good sound. This thing is heavy! The locomotive and tender weigh about 22 lbs. It has some serious tractive effort. I pulled a train of 35 cars up my 3% mountain grade and multiple curves with ease. The real 4005 is nearby in Denver at the Forney Museum. It was the first of the Big Boys I ever saw back in the early 1970's. Never in a million years did I imagine I would get to see one operate.

Living not far from Cheyenne, I was fortunate to get to see 4014 on it's very first test run

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
My god, that engine is huge! Makes my saddle tanker look like a mere speck!

Congratulations!

Tom

·
Registered
531 Posts
Yes, what does it need for curves, 096?

The front of the boiler sticks about 2 1/2" out to the side of the track in the curves. It forces me to leave a lot of space on the outside of the curves. Luckily I planned for large articulated steam locomotives when I started my layout and left plenty of room in the curves.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
I picked up a 2001 Lionel starter set, Tinsel Town Express off FaceBook for $50. Everything was in the box, track transformer. Working on getting it cleaned up and operating before I give it to a local family with three kids under seven!

6-7_6-21944--xmas-set.jpg

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
They are static models? They look like 1/100th scale. Great looking models. I like the 9F...one of my favorite engines. I wish they made one in O scale!

Tom

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
They are nice, no matter what. They look great. All famous locomotives!

Tom

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
My Lionel 4-4-0s were delivered while I was at work today which made it pretty tough to focus... After a year and a half of waiting and a very painful blow to my wallet, I'm very happy to finally have them in my hands. They turned out beautifully and run pretty nicely out of the box. There are a few minor details (or lack of) that bug me due to the fact that Lionel has included them on other models in the past but left them out of these top of the line brass hybrid models, but overall I'm very happy with them.

5081 - 5100 of 5129 Posts