Model Train Forum banner

5101 - 5120 of 5129 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
I just took possession of a NOS WEAVER ALCO C6-28.
I always wanted a 6 axle high horsepower locomotive to pull some long trains at our local club. Got it a couple of days ago. Here are a few pictures of it pulling a 29 car ore train around. Now hoping to get a second unit so I can double head them. Then I might purchase a dummy F unit and paint it in CNW colors and place the F unit between the Alcos View attachment 546924 View attachment 546925 View attachment 546926
Might be looking into weathering the big guy to make it more like a real ALCO, rusty, dirty and oil covered.​
20201104_114646.jpg

Just got my ALCO 's twin brother. Another Weaver ALCO Century 628 in CNW. Here they are pulling a 27 car ore train around. Next to them are a pair of MTH Doodlebugs that have been drawbared together . The marker lights have been modified so they show green in forward and red in reverse.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Picked up a conventional Lionel 0-6-0T for a reering and weathering project. I plan on doing it as a Hanna Furnace switcher. Hanna Furnace was a blast furnace operation in Lackawanna, NY...

Tom

View attachment 548983
I have a Lionel US STEEL 0-6-0 tank locomotive just like yours. I weathered it and removed the US STEEL LOGO that didn't look right on it.
0-6-0 switcher.jpg

Here's a before and after photo to show you how it looks with a heavy coat of weathering.
Bill trzaskus
20200208_160307.jpg

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Very nice Bill. I always like those big Alcos and ore trains!

The 0-4-0 looks great. I have a similar concept in mind for mine. Waiting for some detail parts to arrive then I can get started....

Tom

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
There is, they are just subdued with the weathering...

Tom

·
Registered
4,442 Posts
My Pennsy passenger car sets (20-65043 and 20-69043) came in. Both the five car set and the two car set are NIB. I found it interesting that MTH made the five car set, the sleeper/diner set, the full length vista dome and the RPO in 2004, but didn’t come out with the baggage/coach set until 2006. Also found it interesting the changes that were made in two years. The newer cars have better trucks, better couplers, frames on the diaphragms, black grab rails and included passengers. My one disappointment is that the 2006 baggage REA car didn’t have the stripes or keystones shown in the catalog and website. Maybe that’s what the prototype looked like. The sets are a good color match for each other and for the Williams Tuscan GG1. Some of the 2004 cars have light bulbs rattling around inside, but that doesn’t matter. I will change the lighting to LED and add passengers.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
I have Pennsy heavy weight cars but no light weight stuff...yet. I would like to put together a Congressional style train of stainless Budd equipment to be pulled by a GG1.

my other passenger trains are NYC heavy weights, C&O heavy weights, CNJ and Milwaukee Road, also both heavy weight consists...

Tom

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
I have a set on order. Four car set and the diner/sleeper add on. Just debating the matching GG1 MTH has available...

Tom

·
Registered
33 Posts
Tom,
Nice job. Now it needs some weathering like mine.
[/QUOTE]
Nice job! Speaking of weathering, has anyone repainted the cab figures? Those giant squid eyes are really something 👀

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Looks like he is on "crack"...lol

Tom

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Come on John. I work for the railroad...we’ve seen everything....lol.

Tom

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Went with a Lionel JLC GG1. I liked the detail on it and it matches the new PRR stainless cars I also bought.

The GG1 is exhibiting some minor zinc rot in the main trucks. I just received the replacement truck frames from Hennings. They will be installed soon.

The cars are six MTH Premier stainless cars. Should make a decent train...here are three of them...

I wouldn’t mind picking up a Budd stainless observation car with the blunt end like the Congressional had. Looking for one now...

Tom

·
Registered
4,442 Posts
That’s a good looking set Tom. Are they plated? The catalog says they are, but website doesn’t. And they don’t look shiny in the photos.

5101 - 5120 of 5129 Posts