Model Train Forum banner

5121 - 5129 of 5129 Posts

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Hi Bob. They are plated...very shiny. It looks like real stainless steel. I use my iPad to take pictures with. That coupled with the poor lighting, have an effect on my photos!

Tom

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Nice looking GG1, I have one in for service, and it'll be getting the new sideframes as well.
Thanks John. This is my second set, as I have the green, five stripe GG1 too. They will be back ups for that engine. The trucks on that one are still solid. The Silver GG1 has very subtle zinc rot that will likely get worse. That will be the first project....

Tom
[

·
Registered
531 Posts
Nice looking GG1 Tom. Even though I grew up and spent my whole living in the western part of the country, I've always been a fan of GG1's. Any plans to put up cantenary wire when build your layout?

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Nice looking GG1 Tom. Even though I grew up and spent my whole living in the western part of the country, I've always been a fan of GG1's. Any plans to put up cantenary wire when build your layout?
Thanks Maxim. I never saw one under power, but I have seen them in dead lines and been in the one that used to be stored in Hoboken, NJ. I missed working for NJT about three years too late to see them in service.

I have plans to install catenary, but more of a simple type like they used out west on the GN or Milwaukee Road. I have seen some centenary systems up for sale but haven’t wanted to commit to the couple thousand dollars to buy enough for a loop and yard...

Tom

·
Admin
44,361 Posts
Thanks John. This is my second set, as I have the green, five stripe GG1 too. They will be back ups for that engine. The trucks on that one are still solid. The Silver GG1 has very subtle zinc rot that will likely get worse. That will be the first project....
I have the JLC #4925 single stripe green one, the sideframes are perfect on that one. I even took one off to trial fit the Henning's sideframes when we were initially molding them. At that time I closely inspected and prodded it for any evidence of deterioration.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have plans to install catenary, but more of a simple type like they used out west on the GN or Milwaukee Road. I have seen some centenary systems up for sale but haven’t wanted to commit to the couple thousand dollars to buy enough for a loop and yard...

Check out this great video of a Milwaukee layout that ran live catenary - 1/4" dowels, brass rod and Marklin HO catenary sections, which look just fine in O gauge and less expensive.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Cool. I have been buying Marklin catenary parts for a while. They are fairly cheap on eBay. That is likely the route I will take when the time comes...

I have a collection of European electric locomotives and my old layout in HO had a section with working catenary. I used the Marklin stuff back then and still have it...

Tom

5121 - 5129 of 5129 Posts