Model Train Forum banner

5121 - 5140 of 5384 Posts

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Hi Bob. They are plated...very shiny. It looks like real stainless steel. I use my iPad to take pictures with. That coupled with the poor lighting, have an effect on my photos!

Tom

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Nice looking GG1, I have one in for service, and it'll be getting the new sideframes as well.
Thanks John. This is my second set, as I have the green, five stripe GG1 too. They will be back ups for that engine. The trucks on that one are still solid. The Silver GG1 has very subtle zinc rot that will likely get worse. That will be the first project....

Tom
[

·
Registered
542 Posts
Nice looking GG1 Tom. Even though I grew up and spent my whole living in the western part of the country, I've always been a fan of GG1's. Any plans to put up cantenary wire when build your layout?

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Nice looking GG1 Tom. Even though I grew up and spent my whole living in the western part of the country, I've always been a fan of GG1's. Any plans to put up cantenary wire when build your layout?
Thanks Maxim. I never saw one under power, but I have seen them in dead lines and been in the one that used to be stored in Hoboken, NJ. I missed working for NJT about three years too late to see them in service.

I have plans to install catenary, but more of a simple type like they used out west on the GN or Milwaukee Road. I have seen some centenary systems up for sale but haven’t wanted to commit to the couple thousand dollars to buy enough for a loop and yard...

Tom

·
Admin
45,511 Posts
Thanks John. This is my second set, as I have the green, five stripe GG1 too. They will be back ups for that engine. The trucks on that one are still solid. The Silver GG1 has very subtle zinc rot that will likely get worse. That will be the first project....
I have the JLC #4925 single stripe green one, the sideframes are perfect on that one. I even took one off to trial fit the Henning's sideframes when we were initially molding them. At that time I closely inspected and prodded it for any evidence of deterioration.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have plans to install catenary, but more of a simple type like they used out west on the GN or Milwaukee Road. I have seen some centenary systems up for sale but haven’t wanted to commit to the couple thousand dollars to buy enough for a loop and yard...

Check out this great video of a Milwaukee layout that ran live catenary - 1/4" dowels, brass rod and Marklin HO catenary sections, which look just fine in O gauge and less expensive.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Cool. I have been buying Marklin catenary parts for a while. They are fairly cheap on eBay. That is likely the route I will take when the time comes...

I have a collection of European electric locomotives and my old layout in HO had a section with working catenary. I used the Marklin stuff back then and still have it...

Tom

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
I painted a couple more freight cars.

The Frisco box car was a MTH Premier 40’ painted as a York commemorative car. I stripped it, replaced some missing handrails and painted it with Scalecoat II boxcar red in a spraycan. The decals are K4 products and they worked nicely.

The other car is a Weaver 40’ stock car. This one was undecorated so I just painted it with Scalecoat Roof brown. The decal set, also from K4 was probably for an earlier era car as it lacks the dimensional data, normally found on cars after the turn of the century. It came out well though....

Tom

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
I'm always impressed by your paint and decal work Tom. If I ever give up looking for those premier D&H passenger cars and decide to put the effort into painting some, I'll come to you for advice.

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
I picked up an MTH Baldwin VO 1000 yesterday. I didn’t have a VO 1000 before this and the only other CB&Q loco I have is the Pioneer Zephyr. Usually, I stick with a few north eastern roads, but in this case, I took a page from Spence’s book and got it because I like the way it looks. I didn’t realize that the exhaust stacks on the VO 1000 are offset. I like it. It has great detail for a diesel switcher and also has great startup sounds.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Thanks Bob. I am still looking for D&H passenger decals.it would be an interesting project.

The Baldwin is a nice engine and the CB&Q paint scheme is really sharp. Interesting about the stacks. There seems to be a variety of configurations with the MTH model. I have a P&BL engine. It was a shell that I bought and put on a PS3 chassis. My shell only had two stacks and the shell wasn’t designed for working smoke, so removed the smoke unit. I may drill out the stacks someday and install the smoke unit with the “trough“ that guides the smoke to the stacks.

Tom

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Thanks Bob. I am still looking for D&H passenger decals.it would be an interesting project.

Tom
I thought about repainting some smooth sided cars. It might be a fun project, but I decided it would be a lot of work and I have little confidence that I could produce something that I would be proud of. I did find D&H passenger car decals at Highball Graphics but they are HO. I suspect they could make some custom ones for O scale.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
It would be worth a try and contact them. Often, they just scale up the drawings they use and print them.

K4 does many decal in all scales. They have a computer printing system, so they print them as needed. No big runs needed. They haven’t any D&H passenger decal though. They do take suggestions...

Tom

·
Registered
87 Posts
I painted a couple more freight cars.

The Frisco box car was a MTH Premier 40’ painted as a York commemorative car. I stripped it, replaced some missing handrails and painted it with Scalecoat II boxcar red in a spraycan. The decals are K4 products and they worked nicely.

Nice work! Taking notes here - I'm looking to do some CPR & CNR re-liveries on some Menards boxcars.
FW

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
That would be a good project. There are some Canadian road decals out there. Although not many. My usual source, K4, has only Ontario Northland. In fact they have more Mexican railroad decals than Canadian....go figure.

Tom

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Interesting selection. The freight car offerings are nice. I may do a CP car and order the decals from them.

I would like to see some CN maple leaf boxcar decals.

Tom

5121 - 5140 of 5384 Posts