Model Train Forum banner

5141 - 5160 of 5181 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
not a new add, but this belonged to my Dad..it celebrates 90 yrs this Christmas and it had been shelved on display only for the last 25 yrs as it was not in running shape and I was working 80hrs/weeks..with Covid slow down, I've had some time on my hands, and was able to find some parts..worn gears, missing cosmetics..last evening it did a few dozen laps around the christmas tree..leaving my 89yr old mom in tears as she watched and enjoyed the memories..yes, I also refurbished the 3 passenger cars..so everything is llighting and running as it should.for those who know, yes, it was a repaiint..my mom thought she was doing something nice back in 1967 when she decided to paint it..not original red unfortunately..but this is family keepsake and that's the value.

·
Registered
11 Posts
she did..she said she regretted it as it destroyed the collector value.. I told her it made it more special that my mom wanted to make the effort..like I told her...these are family heirlooms to be passed down to the kids...all the more special to be able to say Memaw's hands were on this too.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Very nice engine with special memories. I wouldn't mind having some tin pre-war trains. Just never got started...

·
Registered
11 Posts
never really shop for pre-war, but grew up with Dad's. Santa always brought them somehow on christmas eve so when this lil 4 yr old woke up on the big morning, the trains were around the tree..and then a week later...they'd be gone until next year..when I got older, they hit the floor under the tree as soon as the tree went up..and many many years of play time including his 226E frieght set, a marx loco and American Flyer PA deisel set as I grew. I made sure trains were a part of every christmas when I made my own home and my 4 , now adult kids all have families of their own..some have taken some of my 1950s stuff to their houses to carry on, but the grandkids all love to come here and play...they have grown up expecting and loving it...small disney princess take rides in coal hoppers, a village of M&M's star wars characters live throughout the many houses we put on the floor, etc. I had to add a Thomas Train set a few years back when the twin grandaughters got all into the TV show..took them to a nearby museum 4 years back to see the life size Thomas and actually take a ride..so when they came over that year and Thomas was doing laps..they were squeeling with excitement...cheap product and very expensive.. but I found one on local marketplace that had been trashed by the former owner...got complete set, engine, 2 cars, track and transformer for $20...$12 of parts from Lionel online and 30 mins on the bench and Thomas was back together with moving eyes again.. so, yes, there's everything from 1930 tinplate, to 1950s working era, to MTH current protosound stuff down there for them to play with...and I love watching them make their own memories

·
Admin
44,701 Posts
Added some heavy hardware today! This is a Lionel JLC scale Challenger that was totally upgraded to full Legacy operation. It now has all the features of the new Vision Line Challenger, whistle steam, dynamo steam, dual sound systems, ground lights, etc. It's a beast! This is a creation of a fellow named Bruk Bannister. We got to talking about what's possible, and with the help of a lot of 3D printing for all the internal pieces you can't buy, this creation was born! We were pushing the envelope on what could be done, but once I threw down the gauntlet, he was up to the challenge! The first time in a long time that I had someone else build something for me, it was kinda' fun just to wait for the finished product. There's a huge thread over on OGR about the build with lots of pictures.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
That is a very impressive locomotive. Great work on the detail and the overall look of the engine.

I like the big UP steamers, but I have never worked up the nerve to buy one...

Tom

·
Admin
44,701 Posts
Thanks Tom. This was hundreds less than the Vision Line Challenger and has all the important features. The sound with dual sound systems is outstanding, that's one area that MTH never seemed to spend enough time trying to get right. Of course, the smoke features hit home with me as the smoke king. :D AAMOF, there's little on the VIsion Line Challenger that isn't on this one. When I went down the bullet list of features on the new Vision Line Challenger, I pretty much have them all. The JLC Challenger that was used as the base is a fine looking and well detailed Challenger, so it was the perfect candidate for the upgrade.

In addition, I got the excellent Pittman motor, not the trouble-plagued Canon motor that Lionel is now using in their "high end" steam! I've had three of the Canon motors croak, and they all went dead short! I don't see that many Legacy steamers that I should see that many motor failures. In my whole repair career, I've seen exactly one Pittman motor that died. Even that one I don't blame the motor, it was abused with a motor stall and shorted DCDS board, that finally cooked the armature. I can't really blame that failure on Pittman, so in truth, I've never seen one fail. Given that two of the three canon motors that croaked took out the RCMC, it was an expensive failure for the owners. The one that I saved the RCMC was it didn't destroy the board with the heat under the FETs and I was able to replace them. The Canon motors would just fail with a dead short, I wish I had taken one of them apart to see what happened. My guess is something with the brushes came loose and shorted.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Tell me again what is more important than your family and precious memories, what a great Christmas story!

5141 - 5160 of 5181 Posts