Model Train Forum banner

5161 - 5180 of 5181 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Nice looking set there. Looks to be from the 1970-80 era. I have a DT&I Yardmaster Switcher set from the same era. The style of the box is from that era.

STOCK PHOTO

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
A lot of the K-Line Trainmasters came with Cruise too. My only Trainmaster is a Williams Gray roof Lackawanna with ERR Cruise.

Pete

·
Admin
44,701 Posts
Pete, mine has cruise, and it's one of only a couple of my K-Line engines that the cruise still works great on. :D I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop, since all three of the tank engines cruise boards croaked! I've also got a set of Santa Fe F3's on the shelf with a dead cruise board, one of these days...

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
At least with the diesels you don't have deal with chuff. My 4-6-6T and shay still have their K-Line Cruise. Not looking forward to dealing with those when they croak.

Pete

·
Registered
62 Posts
Love the modified JLC Challenger John!

Picked up one I've been looking a while for...

Key Imports custom series #49

Needs a couple tweaks but it's a beaut.

·
Registered
583 Posts
My latest Menards online buy. We live in the Kansas City Metro area. So naturally I just had to have the 2020 KCS Boxcar. I could not find it at any of our local KC Menards. So an online order was the way to go. I also received the lighted Yellow Hummer as a freebie.

·
Admin
44,701 Posts
Love the modified JLC Challenger John!

Picked up one I've been looking a while for...

Key Imports custom series #49

Needs a couple tweaks but it's a beaut.
I'll bet that beauty set you back more than my home brew Vision Line Challenger! :D

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
I have been regressing lately to traditional trains. I saw this car for the first time last month. It struck me how absurd the markings are. Maybe a bit of an inside joke for electrical guys.
First off transformer warning placards are usually about volts, not amps. Second no power transformer built can handle 10 million amps or volts.
A good friend works at a local hydroelectric plant that could power about a third of the state on its own. Of course they transmit at high voltage to keep the current on the wires down. Still the total amps they produce is about 1/50th of what Lionel's is rated at. I told him they need to get their transformers from Lionel and he said theirs come from China too.

Pete

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have been regressing lately to traditional trains. I saw this car for the first time last month. It struck me how absurd the markings are. Maybe a bit of an inside joke for electrical guys.
First off transformer warning placards are usually about volts, not amps. Second no power transformer built can handle 10 million amps or volts.
A good friend works at a local hydroelectric plant that could power about a third of the state on its own. Of course they transmit at high voltage to keep the current on the wires down. Still the total amps they produce is about 1/50th of what Lionel's is rated at. I told him they need to get their transformers from Lionel and he said theirs come from China too.
View attachment 552621

Pete
Not regression in my world! Love it!

·
Registered
583 Posts
I just could not resist. All the cars shown below are Menards 2016 offerings. Some of the cars are on Menards online Low Inventory Alert. The Internet Low Inventory Alert usually means that Free Shipping to Store is not available but shipping to your residence is available for a shipping fee. All of the cars shown below are becoming scarce to find either in store or online. Last weekend I went on a quest to visit 3 of the 4 local Menards in our area to look for Train Stuff and take advantage of the 15% off bag sale. I managed to to find some 2019 & 2020 offerings I liked and came home lighter in the wallet. I did visit the 4th store this weekend where I found these 2016 offerings available. So I grabbed them up. Slide them into that 15% off bag along with a couple of the 4.5v power supplies and headed to the register. Since this store opened in Feb. of 2020 after the 2019 Christmas Season I just figured that they would not have any of the older cars for the 2020 Christmas Season. Looks like I was wrong. Thanks Menards for stocking the new store with older model train cars.

·
Admin
44,701 Posts
I didn't think I could fit a turntable into my layout, but then I was looking at the Atlas 24" model, and it seemed like it would fit. Found one NIB on eBay for $213, better than most prices I saw, so now it's mine. It actually will fit, and it looks like I can get around 9-10 good sized whisker tracks, and some short ones for little stuff around it here. I'm looking into having two entry tracks so I can drive things out in either direction. It will swing pretty much anything that you can get the wheels on the 24" bridge, so it'll handle most of my smaller steam and all but a couple of the diesels. That takes care of a bunch of real-estate in this area! :D

1610663692702.png

·
Registered
583 Posts
Nice addition to your layout. Now the real work will begin just as soon as you figure out how this Turntable will fit in on the layout.

5161 - 5180 of 5181 Posts