Model Train Forum banner

5261 - 5280 of 5300 Posts

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Another MTH parts donor brought back to life. The Central acquired this from the C&O and will haul locals while 999 handles the express.

Pete

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Nice locomotive. Did you re-decal it? I like the dark running gear. Makes it look real.

Tom

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
I had to decal the cab and tender sides. The rest of the paint is original. The blue matches the MTH ESE engine. The stripes were a real pain. I tried decals first but found there was no way to lay something that long straight. Then transfers but that took a few tries too. This was what I was trying to match.

Pete

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
My Tuscan Legacy K4. It's technically it's not new, but it's been away for repairs so long it feels new.
IMG_20210306_175042.jpg

Reactions: Chaostrain

·
Admin
45,143 Posts
My Tuscan Legacy K4. It's technically it's not new, but it's been away for repairs so long it feels new.
I have a couple of engines in for repair/upgrade, I think by the time the owners get them back they'll be thinking they're new as well! :D

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
I have a couple of engines in for repair/upgrade, I think by the time the owners get them back they'll be thinking they're new as well! :D
Bob had to wait for Lionel to send the parts. It needed a complete overhaul. Everything had to be replaced.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
LMAO ...

A older, wiser colleague once told me: "Never mix your advocation with your vocation." He imparted that wisdom to me while we attended a North Jersey train show; oddly enough as vendors. Him selling off his Lionel collectables and me selling O-scale whatever in a move to G-scale for the kiddies. He was referring to the gents sitting idlily at tables. Wasting time hawking their wares having thought; "I can make this my job."

But here the circumstances are different. The advocation is winning out 👍

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Stripes look fine, Pete

I have the opposite results with decals vs dry transfers. I could never get dry transfers right. Decals gave me the chance to tweak them after application, so the wet method worked better for me.
Interesting era for locomotives and railroading in general. Modern technology was emerging in the industry with air brakes and automatic couplers...

Denny, nice to get a favorite up and running. It is a handsome engine.

Tom

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Lettering are K4 decals as was the stripe I tried. Might have worked with Champ decals which a bit thicker.
Pete

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Yes, K4 stripes are thin. I use Micro Scale stripes as they are available in many sizes and colors...and they are still made!

Tom

·
Registered
122 Posts
While not new, it feels new. Last summer the reverse unit was fried in my WBB Rutland GE 70-tonner. It's been a long, long wait for the spare part to come in, but it arrived last Saturday and shortly thereafter I had the part installed and the little locomotive was running again. Bachmann Trains customer service was great to work with.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Nice locomotive there Matt. I like the Rutland Boxcar too. Cool layout,

Tom

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I am planning build a diorama of the Ashley CNJ shop yard, and the Huber breaker. I am picking up 2, 3 and 4 bay hoppers that served the are. The latest is a K Line die cast Lehigh Valley 4 bay hopper.I have one Atlas die cast 2 bay CNJ hopper, one K Line die cast PARR 2 bay hopper, and five Weaver CRP, (Central Railroad of Pennsylvaina, the CNJ's end around attempt at avoiding taxes), and two K Line die cast Lackawanna 4 bay hoppers. I'm on the hunt for Erie and D&H hoppers. I found a 4 pack of K Line Erie diecast 2 bay hoppers on the bay. I made an offer, but the seller didn't answer my message.

Lehigh Valley Hopper 001.JPG
Lehigh Valley Hopper 002.JPG

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I may be biased, but I like the look of that LV hopper.
Me too! When I saw this for sale on the OGR forum, it was listed as two bay, which is really what I was looking for. I was a bit surprised when I opened it, but it will go with my Lackawanna 4 bay cars. A purist on a real train forum pointed out that the 7 digit road number is not prototypical; I'll have to change that.

·
Registered
O Scale MTH and Lionel 1952 set and newer
23 Posts
Continuing Bob’s Burlington spotlight, I purchased a couple CB&Q freight cars and a caboose. The Hi-Cube is an Atlas product, the reefer is a MTH car and the caboose is a Lionel.
View attachment 555763

View attachment 555764

The GP40 is a MTH Premier engine. It has been in my collection for a while....
View attachment 555765

Tom
Does anyone know what the capitol D and F mean on the Burlington box car? I have seen the same DF on a Santa Fe and I have a GM&O box car with those letters as well. I have not seen a reference for them.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Found this lightly used gem at Just Trains of Delaware today. Second pic show where I needed to modify some clearance areas for it to run around some of my corners. Wife wasn't even mad...It's here favorite engine

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

5261 - 5280 of 5300 Posts