Model Train Forum banner

5281 - 5300 of 5300 Posts

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Took a break from black and graphite steamers and picked up this painted lady. This Lionel Pacific was made around 2002 and features a big Pittman motor. Mods include 4 chuffs, class/marker lenses, shorter drawbar, cab curtains, and cab apron.
I started looking for cars to go with this. I missed the boat on MTH cars. Three dealers showed them in stock but after checking all were sold out. I ended up with some new old stock Lionel cars from 2007. This SS diner is one of them.

Pete

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I always liked that multicolor B&O scheme on their passenger equipment. Very handsome set there Pete. One of the cars is stainless?

Tom

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Sorry Tom. SS = Station Sound, not Stainless Steel. Where MTH puts trackside announcements in the engine, Lionel puts them in one of the cars, most always the diner car sold as a separate sale item in a set.

Pete

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Ah okay. I never realized that. I like the idea of the separate station sounds in another piece of equipment.

I did a quick search and found nothing in the way of MTH B&O 70’ Madison cars, except for the two car sets that have the Combine and Diner cars. They were really popular...

Tom

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
A few hours after I bought these cars an MTH dealer emailed me that he had a five car set. That was 4 days after I emailed him. Valley Farm Market in Weedville, PA is an MTH dealer. He sells at list or above and is usually one of the last to show items in stock. It might be the last set available other than the two car add ons.

apete

·
Registered
148 Posts
So this is off from the usual, but as I prep my area to get going, I found this which will be my trains workbench, I will be adding a test track will keep all basic needed tools in my train tool box on the bottom shelf, frequently used items on the pegboard, it has a light above and 3 outlets on the left side.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
I wasn’t able to find a complete MTH set before landing a Lionel set. Would have preferred MTH for their better detail and LED lighting but will settle for these for now. Being earlier Lionel they are much better than current cars with figures, windows you see in and decent trucks and couplers.
Pete

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Some new Maine Central Equipment. A Lionel GP7 and an Atlas extended vision caboose...

Tom

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
That GP-7 has a lot of separately applied details Tom. Can see them better in the Friday thread. Looks like a top-of-the-line model. If it was MTH I would say Premier, but I don’t do much modern Lionel so I don’t know which line. Legacy? Vision?

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Bob, It was just released by Lionel. It is Legacy with all the bells and whistle. It runs nice, even in the Bluetooth mode with my cell phone!

It is a paint scheme I was hoping for. I have an undecorated Atlas GP7 I was going to paint in the MEC colors. I had the paint and decals too. Then I saw Lionel offer this. I was lucky as I didn’t preorder but found one for sale at a brick and mortar shop.

The only issue is the air horn location. It should be on the roof of the short hood. I may relocate it. Haven’t decided yet...

Tom

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
My eyes hurt, I don't bring the sunglasses inside as a rule! :p:p
Yes, very bright. I did adjust the exposure to get the details on the trucks to show up a bit. The hazards of taking pictures with an old iPad....

Tom

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Some new rail equipment in gentle tones...for John...😉

A Lionel Lehigh and Hudson River Railroad Alco C-420 and a Lionel L&HR Northeastern style caboose.

The engine is a Legacy equipped model.

The L&HR once had a branch that ran near my property on its way to a zinc mining operation. I always wanted something in my collection to represent the L&HR as it is local history in my area.

Tom

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Yeah, quite a contrast! The caboose would probably look better with some weathering to tone it down a bit...

Tom

5281 - 5300 of 5300 Posts