Model Train Forum banner

5341 - 5360 of 5384 Posts

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
A bit of an impulse buy from Pat's Trains that I made last Sunday just arrived this afternoon. A Lionel Legacy Grand Trunk Western 2-8-2 out of the 2017 catalog. Pat has had this one on sale for quite some time and I finally pulled the trigger on it since he was asking far less than the more recent Lionel 2-8-2s are listed for. My brother has been doing a lot of Genealogy research on our family recently and discovered that a couple of our ancestors likely worked for GT and/or CN in Canada and then GTW upon arriving in the U.S. Not a bad excuse to add a nice looking GTW locomotive to the roster in their honor...

·
Admin
45,451 Posts
Nice looking engine. Steam locomotives always looks best in black. You have the matching cars already?

Tom
Yep, I have eight of the MTH Strasburg Woodside passenger cars, all I had to pull them was the MTH 4-4-0, which I never thought really looked right. This still isn't a locomotive that's currently in service, but it just looks like it should be pulling those cars. :D

·
Admin
45,451 Posts
A bit of an impulse buy from Pat's Trains that I made last Sunday just arrived this afternoon. A Lionel Legacy Grand Trunk Western 2-8-2 out of the 2017 catalog.
Nice addition, those are good looking models.

·
Admin
45,451 Posts
Speaking of impulse buys, I was trolling eBay and spotted this one. I wanted a second A5 to double-head them, this scratches that itch. It needs a couple of things, I ordered a rod bolt and bushing that was missing, and I had to fix the front coupler, the knuckle was bent, it got a new one. While I was at it, I dropped a back-EMF cruise module in, that will make it match my other one that already has the cruise..
Lionel 6-22103 A5 TMCC.png

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Nice addition, those are good looking models.
Thanks! I agree, also pretty nice runners (assuming this one behaves when I test it later). I've had a PRR version for many years now that I bought off of a friend. It definitely has more mileage on it than most of my other locomotives in the fleet and just keeps on going.

Nice A5, they're definitely nice little engines at the price point they generally sell at. I've liked them since I saw one on the cover of what was probably one of the last K-Line by Lionel catalogs some years ago. Still haven't purchased one myself though... maybe someday.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
No! Not a problem! It’s a blessing! Lol.

Jake, that is a beautiful engine. It is always rewarding to have some personal heritage with a piece of equipment. It makes it that more special!

Tom

·
Registered
662 Posts
We were at a local Antique Mall a little while back. I came across and bought this K-Line MOW Train Set. This set looks to be All New In The Box. It even had the original K-Line cardboard packing box that all the single boxes fitted into. I could not find hardly any information on this set online. The main box had a J.C. Penny sticker on it and had K-Line, Chapel Hill, N.C. printing on the side of the box. The rolling stock consisted of Engine # 2313, Railcar #6629, Gondola #6522, Spotlight/Generator car #7206, Boom Crane car #6800 & a #6856 Work Caboose, Track & transformer signs, utility poles etc. If anyone has some info on this set please make it known. The K-Line 1921 set, circa 1989, is essentially the same set but is in Pennsylvania livery and seems to be a bit more popular. I did find out that the SF Engine #2313 was offered in 1995. Appreciate any info about this set.

K-LINE 1922 SF WORK HORSE SET

·
Admin
45,451 Posts
Well, one of last year's orders floated in, my METCA PRR G5 4-6-0 arrived. Happy to say it seems 100%. It was a little "jerky" a slow speeds when I first started running it, but after a few laps it runs fine. It just had to get used to it's surroundings I suspect. It's a dark Brunswick Green, pretty attractive even if it probably isn't prototypical. The fanciest paint scheme I've ever seen on a PRR steam locomotive. If Lionel could only get the smoke box colors tamed, they'd be in good shape.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
That is a flashy steam engine John! That is a nice wheel arrangement, just a right size.

What is METCA?

Erie610,

That is cool set. 1995 seems just like yesterday but 1989 is definitely antique! Nice pick up. The colors look nice and bright. Are you going to run it?

Tom

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Okay. I had no idea. Is the engine a Lionel product though?

Tom

·
Admin
45,451 Posts
Yep, I think the only thing "special" is the paint job. Other than that, it's the same Legacy 10-wheeler that just came out. When I put it next to the Strasburg one I also just got, they're identical except for a couple things like the headlight location and paint.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
I have been looking for the 3rd Rail version of this engines for over 6 years with little luck other than getting a B Unit. When Lionel cataloged it I put in my pre order and then hoped for the best. I am happy to say it arrived with no issues. No broken or missing parts and all functions seem to work.
I wished the grays were a bit darker but I am not going to complain, a) because I don't know what the correct color should be and b) if these were painted to match the Dreyfuss, no model done so far matches anyone else's version. Nor do their 20th Century cars.
I was also intially miffed at the lack or rear end detail. Stubs for rear steps and no MU lines. Then realized this has Liondrive and those items would make it difficult to remove the trucks. My only other Lionel F or E unit are some F3s done around 2002. Those have considerably more detail than this E7. No matter that will get rectified in time.

Pete

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
I don’t follow NYC, but I don’t think I have ever seen that color scheme before. Usually, the lighting strike is the lighter shade. But I looked at some images and there are a few with a similar scheme albeit as you wished with the grays a bit darker.
Looks nice.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Nice John. I am surprised the seller didn't dust it off. They are sweet runners.
Lehigh, NYC did 4 A units like this, sometimes referred to as "Beauty Queens". They apparently kept that scheme until retired.

I hope to make a pilot like this one but no luck so far. Neither Keil Line, P&D, nor a Lionel E6 pilot fits. If anyone knows of others that may work please let me know.
Pete

5341 - 5360 of 5384 Posts