Model Train Forum banner

5361 - 5380 of 5384 Posts

·
Admin
45,451 Posts
View attachment 559953

I hope to make a pilot like this one but no luck so far. Neither Keil Line, P&D, nor a Lionel E6 pilot fits. If anyone knows of others that may work please let me know.
Are you trying to make a fixed pilot?

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Yes, fixed pilot with the doors. I have made doors for them in the past. I have no other E7s and this engine differs from both E6s and E8s. These pilots are for an MTH E6. The one with more detail on the left is a Lionel part that is now on the MTH engine. Unfortunately they are both too narrow for this E7.

This is a K-Line E8 with a P&D pilot. The P&D fits the K-Line perfectly.

Pete

·
Registered
O Scale MTH and Lionel 1952 set and newer
28 Posts

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Nice NYC stuff, guys. We can never have enough of the Central!

Here is my latest buy. A MTH 3rail DB BR44 2-10-0 Decapod. These are very rare and hard to find people willing to sell them. It is from 2010 and is equipped with PS3…

Tom

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Thanks guys. A buddy of mine introduced me to German steam in the form of Roco HO models. The detail was amazing and the red and black paint was very handsome. That was almost 39 years ago. I still have most of the European HO stuff I collected back then.

The MTH BR44 was always a “must have” since I got into O scale. I have another, but it is the scale wheel version and I plan on using three rail track when I build my layout. The scale wheels just didn’t perform well on 3 rail even though it was set up electronically to do so.

The 3 rail version will perform much better and now I can pass the two rail engine onto another collector that uses scale wheels…

Tom

·
Admin
45,451 Posts
I have divested myself of all the scale wheel locomotives, they didn't even perform well on Atlas track. Well, no problem with the track, but the switches were a problem. IMO, the switchable stuff from MTH was simply a bad idea! The cheap switching they used has resulted in a lot of service calls for me.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Yes, the switches I plan on using, Ross, had issues with the scale wheels getting “lost” in the frogs. I figured out a shimming set up but it was way to much work for the number of switches I have Just for one engine and a few scale wheel wagons I have.

It is just easier to swap wheel sets on the freight cars when I can find the correct sizes…

Tom

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Nice set with sequential numbers! I like the friction bearing trucks on the rolling advertisement for roller bearings! Nice, bright paint job too.

Tom

·
Admin
45,451 Posts
They just caught my eye and I do love the paint job. I guess K-Line wasn't totally into realism with the trucks, I suspect they should have been roller bearing trucks. :) I have a number of similar K-Line tank cars, and they're really nice cars, so if I see them at $10, I usually grab them. I have a bunch of the Lionel tank cars of similar vintage, but many of them are virtually all plastic and much lighter than these. I'd gladly replace them with more tankers like these.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
How do the trucks mount? I have a bunch of MTH diecast/sprung roller bearing trucks if you want some!

Tom

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Picked this K-Line engine up a few weeks ago. I upgraded it to Cruise, replaced the rotten diaphragms, swapped out the pilot with one from P&D and added a two wire tether to tie the chassis and pickup rollers together. Each unit is powered so should have no problem pulling my UP cars, 20 if I have the room. This completes my UP heritage fleet with the three steam engines.

Pete

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Beautiful loc! The Pilot work is very impressive. So the pilot is fixed in position now?

Tom

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Tom, On this engine I screwed the P&D pilot to the frame. The MU and airline are PSC parts added plus a PSC scale coupler. Rear A still has a swinging pilot with claw coupler. On the NYC E8 pictured above I glued the same pilot to the body. The coupler covers are a P&D item made for this pilot. I had to use the coupler cover part to close up the large opening, then cut away the doors.
here is the prototype, actually an E9 without the mars light.

Pete

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Pete,

So the front truck still pivots enough on the tighter curves with the claw coupler removed? That looks great. P&D lists a number of pilots. Which one did you use?

Tom

5361 - 5380 of 5384 Posts