Model Train Forum banner
5561 - 5580 of 5605 Posts

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
This has been on my radar for a while. Lionel made around 2002, what I consider their best era. This has a big Pittman with fan smoke. Just needs a cam for four chuffs.
View attachment 570387

Pete
Great acquisition Pete! I have the same locomotive and they are very nice. I added the Elesco feed water pump to mine. It was a missing detail that bugged me.

Train Vehicle Rolling stock Wheel Rolling

I repainted a set of MTH Madison cars into the older Erie scheme so the engine would have friends to pull…

Train Light Vehicle Rolling stock Rolling

Tom

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
Tom, I am thinking of passenger cars. Back burner thing unless something pops up at the right price. I see some painted green with a gray window band. I take it that came along at a later date than the all green cars.

Pete

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Pete, the cars with the Erie light green window band were definitely pulled by steam toward the end of steam on the Erie. The E8s were delivered in the two tone green scheme in 1948 I believe. The Erie ran the K5s up into 1953 or there abouts. The two tone green scheme was applied to cars at the same time the E8s arrived.

The Erie painted a number of HW coaches with the two tone and later lightweight cars were delivered in the two tone. They ran mixed in consists.

MTH makes the lightweight streamlined cars in the Premier line. If you want heavyweights, you need to do a repaint job.

Tom

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
Thanks Tom. MTH shows a TT heavyweight set 20-40030. If they made it I am sure its rare like the Canadian National cars they did. GGD did a set too. I am in no hurry. Maybe I wil get lucky as I did with the engine.

Pete

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
They look nice. I am gonna do a couple more HW cars in the two tone scheme. I picked up two streamlined coaches and a baggage car in the two tone colors. They will fit with the PAs and E8 I have. The seller broke up the set as I didn’t want the dome car or the streamlined obs.

My Erie HW cars are a bit dated. They have no interiors and they have the widows with people silhouettes printed on the windows. They were Santa Fe and I just painted them Erie green and decaled them. The hardest part was disassembling the cars and putting them back together again…

Tom

·
Registered
5,796 Posts
Another Lionel Postwar acquisition for the Seattle & Yakima RR. A Wabash Geep. For some strange reason the Wabash RR has garnered my attention. The Geep shell is in excellent condition the frame needs some TLC. The Wabash 2339 was a one year only offering from Lionel in 1957, must not have done well in sales.

Bill

Train Rolling stock freight car Track Wood

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
The Wabash paint scheme is certainly attractive, Bill. What year would that engine have produced?

Here is my side of the trade between me and Bob (Lehigh74) where I sent him a kitbashed Reading caboose. The hopper arrived with MTH trucks, but he also gave me the original Lionel trucks, which I installed.

Train Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Rolling stock

I do have a small collection of post-war Lionel and this car fits in perfectly…

Tom

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
Yesterday at Allentown, I had two eggs over easy with bacon and toast (hold the home fries). Then I got:

An MTH wood sided caboose that I’ve been looking for to go with my LC+ P&R camelback.
Train Wheel Rolling stock Vehicle Locomotive

A covered hopper in the LV snowbird scheme. This Lionel model has some very nice brake line details.
Train Rolling stock Vehicle Building Plant

Train Wheel freight car Rolling stock Locomotive

A Weaver LV snowbird caboose. Unfortunately, I already have the same road number on an MTH version of this caboose.
Train Wheel Rolling stock Track Mode of transport

A 6456 LV hopper. I pick up one of these at just about every meet I go to.
Train Wheel Vehicle Rolling stock freight car

An MTH RK Reading boxcar in Crusader paint.
Train Vehicle Rolling stock Track Railway

A few crusty passenger cars (603 and 604) to go behind my crusty 152 loco.
Train Rolling stock Wheel Window Building

And sadly, probably the last transformer I will ever buy that was reconditioned by Harry Lutz. Harry passed away recently. Great guy. I’ll miss seeing him at meets.
Musical instrument Musical instrument accessory Audio equipment Font Electronic instrument

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Yesterday at Allentown, I had two eggs over easy with bacon and toast (hold the home fries). Then I got:

An MTH wood sided caboose that I’ve been looking for to go with my LC+ P&R camelback.
View attachment 570917
A covered hopper in the LV snowbird scheme. This Lionel model has some very nice brake line details.
View attachment 570918
View attachment 570919

A Weaver LV snowbird caboose. Unfortunately, I already have the same road number on an MTH version of this caboose.
View attachment 570920

A 6456 LV hopper. I pick up one of these at just about every meet I go to.
View attachment 570921

An MTH RK Reading boxcar in Crusader paint.
View attachment 570922

A few crusty passenger cars (603 and 604) to go behind my crusty 152 loco.
View attachment 570923

And sadly, probably the last transformer I will ever buy that was reconditioned by Harry Lutz. Harry passed away recently. Great guy. I’ll miss seeing him at meets.
View attachment 570924
Nice haul there Bob. The bobber is really well done. The LV covered hopper is very nice too. I remember one being parked in the rail yard in Jamestown, NY, for years. It was the same type hopper that was parked there after it was damaged. They eventually cut it up. My mom said they used to call the Lehigh Valley the “Leaky Valley Railroad”…

Tom

·
Registered
5,796 Posts
Another Wabash Geep has been added to the diesel roster on the S&Y RR. This one is a Lionel GP-9 manufactured in 1985, item number 6-8587. Per Greenberg it is uncataloged, I think it may have been a JC Penny exclusive. Excellent condition and tested A-OK.

Bill

Vehicle Naval architecture Watercraft Wheel Rolling stock

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
I agree with Tom about the Wabash paint scheme. Looks great. I’m going to add that to my list. When I was looking for Trainmasters a few years ago, the MTH PS3 Premier Wabash from the 2018 catalog caught my eye, but alas, it had been cancelled.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
I have been on a GP7/GP9 buying spree lately. I may look for one in Wabash colors. I have one coming that I am converting into a CNJ GP7 with the passenger electric generators on the end of the long hood. I plan on painting it in NJDOT colors…

Train Vehicle Sky Window Building

Tom

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Speaking of GP7/GP9s, two more arrived at the roundhouse.

First is a MTH GP9 in Pennsy colors. It isn’t a real stunner, but it had an appeal for me. Early in my railroad career I had the pleasure of running this particular engine. Back then it looked like this…
Train Vehicle Rolling stock Electricity Mode of transport

Later the locomotive was given to the local railroad historical society. It was refurbished back into the original PRR colors and configuration…

Train Land vehicle Vehicle Wheel Rolling stock

The engine I bought, is a MTH with PS1. Simple and a great runner. I need some detail work, such as removing the steam generator and adding different air horns. I plan on painting the handrails in yellow at the proper locations…

Train Wheel Window Vehicle Rolling stock

Train Wheel Rolling stock Window Railway

The other GP is a Chicago and Northwestern GP7. Some 40 years ago, I was riding Amtrak and was waiting for a connection at Union Station, so I headed over to Northwestern Terminal, the large station for the Chicago and Northwestern Railroad in Chicago.

While there, I noticed they had a CNW GP7 parked on track “one“ in the station. It was their “yard” power for the terminal, for handling any needed car movements within the yard. What struck me was that we did the same thing in Hoboken Terminal in Hoboken, NJ. Our track “one” was the spot we parked extra yard power and light engines destined to be run to various outlying points or assigned to work trains.

For some odd reason, the look of that engine always stuck with me. When I saw the MTH GP in CNW colors, it had to go into the collection. I wish I had taken a photo of the real,engine, but never did. Here is the MTH GP7 with PS3. It is a RailKing edition. I just have to add a couple details and it will be good to go…

Train Rolling stock Track Railway Rolling

Train Vehicle Rolling stock Wheel Track

Tom

5561 - 5580 of 5605 Posts