Model Train Forum banner
5581 - 5600 of 5605 Posts

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
It looks like the engineer is wearing a helmet, or it is an early attempt my MTH to represent multiracial, non ageism and non sexist employment opportunities on the railroad. 😉

She looks like this….only the hat is black…

Chin Hat Cap Jaw Headgear

Funny you mention the F is missing. The actual locomotive was long hood forward. Why MTH made that choice to omit it, is interesting.

That is on the list of details I need to add or redo…..

Tom

·
Admin
46,404 Posts
Here's my new Legacy Reading Camelback.

Train Wheel Vehicle Steam engine Rolling stock

One minor complaint and it's common to all of the new sound boards for steam. No battery option! With the short spaced rollers, this locomotive loses sound over a number of my switches, especially the double-slip switches! It's a bummer they decided to cheap out on allowing a battery to bridge these sounds.

Going for a short run with my only Reading Heavyweight passenger cars, time to start shopping for some more.

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
Speaking of GP7/GP9s, two more arrived at the roundhouse.

First is a MTH GP9 in Pennsy colors. It isn’t a real stunner, but it had an appeal for me. Early in my railroad career I had the pleasure of running this particular engine. Back then it looked like this…
View attachment 571291
I thought it was cool when I saw the full scale loco with the same cab number as one of my MTH models (Reading U30C 6300) at the Reading Historical Society in Hamburg, PA. That is VERY cool that you were able to get a model of the exact loco that you ran.

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
One minor complaint and it's common to all of the new sound boards for steam. No battery option! With the short spaced rollers, this locomotive loses sound over a number of my switches, especially the double-slip switches! It's a bummer they decided to cheap out on allowing a battery to bridge these sounds.
Tender roller(s) and tether as you've done before? Cap inserted past the rectified DC for the electronics?

·
Admin
46,404 Posts
I'm loath to add a tether, it's so convenient to be able to just hook the drawbar and off you go. Besides, a global cure for this would be useful. I'm going to see if there's a place I could drop a supercap and perhaps an inrush limiter for the charge so as not to upset the board P/S. Since there's a bridge rectifier early in the game, I suspect that might be possible. I'm sure the board electronics mostly runs on 5V or 3.3V.

I know I don't feel like living with this shortcoming, this is one of the reasons I went to the trouble of creating the
YLB - RailSounds Battery Replacement (RS-Lite)! Just what I need, another project! :D

·
Registered
380 Posts

View attachment 571384

Going for a short run with my only Reading Heavyweight passenger cars, time to start shopping for some more.

A child only a mother would love. Sorry John, I just don't like them.

·
Admin
46,404 Posts
A child only a mother would love. Sorry John, I just don't like them.
I don't like you either! :p :p

Just kidding, I get it. ;) I know a lot of people find the Camelback somewhat ugly, that's the beauty in them.

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
... I'm going to see if there's a place I could drop a supercap and perhaps an inrush limiter for the charge so as not to upset the board P/S. ...
Thinking out loud ... Perhaps a separate charge circuit for the super cap and a diode into the DC rail. Any time the on-board PS voltage sags, the super cap will hold up the voltage. And the diode insures the on-board PS never sees the super cap as a load.

·
Admin
46,404 Posts
An external power supply complicates the picture, there is no common ground for the board DC supply as it goes directly from a bridge rectifier. I actually want to charge the supercap from the on-board supply if possible.

FWIW, my
YLB - RailSounds Battery Replacement (RS-Lite) works like you specify, it has a totally independent power source (center rail power). However, in order to make it universal, I had to depend on the specific design characteristics of the old RS4 & 5 battery power circuits and the newer RS-Lite board battery input. I have to go back to the drawing board for this board, but I'll have to invent a place to tap into the board to supply power when the track goes dead.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts

View attachment 571384

It is a nice looking engine, John. The beauty comes in the form of functional mechanics.

I would like to see it run a bit faster!

I was warned. I just couldn't help myself. Picked this up at an online auction for 35 USD. Even with shipping I'm pleased, if not for the track alone.
View attachment 571399

Bill
Bill, nice haul. It is interesting to see the older stuff come out of hiding, especially around the holidays…

Tom

·
Registered
17 Posts
It is a nice looking engine, John. The beauty comes in the form of functional mechanics.

Bill, nice haul. It is interesting to see the older stuff come out of hiding, especially around the holidays…

Tom
Tom, now that I have extra cars and caboose/caboosi I was thinking of just decorating some myself for the holidays.

·
Admin
46,404 Posts

If it was running faster, it would be much harder to see in the video! :p:p

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Tom, now that I have extra cars and caboose/caboosi I was thinking of just decorating some myself for the holidays.
There are many ways of doing that. Depends how you want to do them. Just paint over the original or strip and start from scratch. Decals can be tricky, but it is fun to create your own stuff!

If it was running faster, it would be much harder to see in the video! :p:p
A short action clip wouldn’t hurt!

Tom

5581 - 5600 of 5605 Posts