Model Train Forum banner
5821 - 5840 of 5889 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,158 Posts
Well, they made as toys originally. There are Gorgi parts dealers that may sell replacement rivets but some other technique may work. Maybe replace them with screws…

Tom

·
Registered
739 Posts
Ah yes, I have one of them SF 623 Switchers. It keeps the Erie 610 Switcher from feeling all alone. The Seaboard 6250 is in repair/rebuild mode at the moment along with some K-Line dual motor Switchers. Those 623 engines run great.

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
The bell is mechanical, activated by a cam and a spring. It should ring continuously when running regardless of the power supply.
Many had the bell or mechanism removed as it could become annoying.
Mine has a worn cam which does not retract the hammer fully so its not very loud.

Pete

·
Premium Member
3,158 Posts
The engine has a nice look to it. Great detail in the molding. I would imagine the bell would drive you nuts after running the engine for a while. I like the heavy duty handrails…

Tom

·
Registered
6,140 Posts
The bell is mechanical, activated by a cam and a spring. It should ring continuously when running regardless of the power supply.
Many had the bell or mechanism removed as it could become annoying.
Mine has a worn cam which does not retract the hammer fully so its not very loud.

Pete
Hi Pete, pulled the shell, looks like the previous owner was one of the folks that the continuous bell annoyed. Bell has been gutted, probably a good thing, I most likely would have done it also.

Bill

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Still a nice engine Bill. Yours is an early 1949 version with the 622 on the front. I am a fan of NW2s both Post War and modern. Magnetraction evolved over the years. This had the magnetic axles with the least tractive effort. 623s got the bar magnet in the trucks similar to the steam engines.

When that engine was first cataloged it was lettered for New York Central. They never made it like that until around 1996 but I suspect this photo taken in 1939 might have been the inspiration for it.

Train Building Vehicle Rolling stock Railway

Train Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive parking light Rolling stock

Pete

·
Registered
819 Posts
Bill, yeah, I resisted for a while. I figured Berwyn's would sell out. But I kept checking back and they still had them. You know how it goes. One day, I had the dough and I checked again. Then I didn't have the dough anymore! 😋

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
I added a few cars to my collection. All are relative to the region of Western New York and Western Pennsylvania, where I once lived and worked…

Tom

View attachment 580920
Recycled a 45 year-old quart of Wolf's head motor oil when I moved last year. Cleaning out the garage, it was sitting there from my brother's muscle car days.

5821 - 5840 of 5889 Posts