Model Train Forum banner
5841 - 5860 of 5889 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,158 Posts
Wow, quite an assortment of different makers. :)
Just on the spot purchases when they came up for sale. I honestly didn’t even think about the makers when I bought them!

The Wolf’s Head tanker was on my eBay watch list for a little over a month Before one came along that fit my requirements. A few makers produced this scheme and they are all hard to find!

Tom

·
Premium Member
3,158 Posts
Recycled a 45 year-old quart of Wolf's head motor oil when I moved last year. Cleaning out the garage, it was sitting there from my brother's muscle car days.
I think it is still produced sort of…Home

I am guessing they use Middle Eastern tar oil instead of Pennsylvania crude now. No longer based in PA…once owned by Pennzoil …

Tom

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Recycled a 45 year-old quart of Wolf's head motor oil when I moved last year. Cleaning out the garage, it was sitting there from my brother's muscle car days.
Some friends who owned Hot cars and raced stock cars always used Wolf’s Head. The said it was about the paraffin content that made it better than Texas crude. Don’t recall if it had more or less or what made it a better choice.

Pete

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
A few years Beth offered some unlettered MTH woodside coach cars. She may have intended to get some combines and baggage cars but Lionel picked up the line before that happened and we know what they did to the prices. Since the coaches arrived I was able to find a combine and then a baggage car for repaint. The baggage car just joined the roster. I was able to snag it just before prices skyrocketed. NYC gold passenger car decals are like hens teeth. These are repros made for some Lionel 601-602 pre war cars.

Train Window Rolling stock Building Vehicle

The combine was done a while back.

Train Window Vehicle Building Rolling stock

Pete

·
Registered
6,140 Posts
4 Postwar freight cars that I acquired at a recent train meet. Pretty reasonable pricing, $50 for the 4. Three 6464 boxcars and a NW hopper. The NH boxcar needs door guide replacements. pretty rusty, otherwise in pretty good shape once cleaned up. The D&RG and M&StL 6464's are in nice condition. The NW hopper will get a salt load for the Morton Salt facility.

Bill

Train Wheel Rolling stock Track Railway

Train Wheel Vehicle Rolling stock Locomotive

Train Rolling stock Window Vehicle Rolling

Train Wheel Rolling stock Track Railway

·
Premium Member
3,158 Posts
Beautiful NYCL cars there Pete. The wood sides really pop in that color paint. Nice job on the decals too.

Your combine reminds me of an ex-Michigan Central wood baggage car the WNYRHS bought from Conrail 40 years ago. It was in mint condition and I did some work, stabilizing the weathered side of the car and painting it. It was stored in Hamburg on a siding. Probably rotted away by now…☹

Bill, I really like the old railroad schemes those cars are painted in. Run of the mill back then, classics now.

Tom

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Thanks guys. I have never been able to get an exact match for MTH Pullman green. This is a mix of colors with mostly Tru Color paint. Close enough for me. The base coat is a Tamiya Olive drab, also close but dries flat. Rather than spray gloss for the decals I just went back to my mix which I had used for the combine. It had enough sheen that I was just able to apply the deals without silvering and didn’t even have to apply a clear overcoat.
The baggage car cost me 80 bucks. I was lucky, I know. I really like the new Lionel NYC&HR cars they are doing but six cars would have cost what I paid for 12 GGD aluminum streamliners. Crazy times.

Pete

·
Admin
47,309 Posts
Not so much as an addition as an addition to one that I got a few weeks ago. This is my Weaver Reading Crusader fully command upgraded pulling it's scale cars on it's maiden voyage. Remaining to-do is build interiors for the cars.

·
Registered
211 Posts
4 Postwar freight cars that I acquired at a recent train meet. Pretty reasonable pricing, $50 for the 4. Three 6464 boxcars and a NW hopper. The NH boxcar needs door guide replacements. pretty rusty, otherwise in pretty good shape once cleaned up. The D&RG and M&StL 6464's are in nice condition. The NW hopper will get a salt load for the Morton Salt facility.

Bill

View attachment 580980

View attachment 580981

View attachment 580982

View attachment 580984
I love 6464s my personal addiction.

·
Premium Member
3,158 Posts
I bought a Weaver Central Vermont and a NYC Pacemaker freight car from Public Delivery Track. I ordered it with the diecast trucks and couplers.

I also obtained a MTH Santa Fe box car that needed trucks and couplers installed.

Since two of the cars were in 1970s paint schemes or the maintenance data was from the 70s, I added ACI plates to each side. The “Kar-Trak” system was used by US railroads from 1967 to 1977...

Train Vehicle Rolling stock freight car Wheel

Train freight car Rolling stock Track Mode of transport

The New York Central Pacemaker car Is another future project. The paint scheme depicts the car that was in captive service on the NYCS. They normally were not interchanged with other carriers. This explains the lack of dimensional data on the right side of the car sides.

Rolling stock freight car Track Mode of transport Railway

Later, the Pacemaker service declined and the special boxcars were placed in general service. At that point they had dimensional data added as the cars were repainted. Some cars survived in the grey/red scheme in general service with the data added.

I plan on adding the dimensional data to this car, so it can run, historically correct, with other railroad cars in my freight trains…

Tom

·
Premium Member
3,158 Posts
Thanks for the pointers there Pete. I was looking to replicate this car.…

Train Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Rolling stock

The handrails and grab irons were difficult to determine. They do look like a weathered black. Thanks for the confirmation!

Tom

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Tom, you won’t have to paint yours but some of the Weavers came with doors painted half gray like the sides. Tru Color Pacemaker Red and Pacemaker Gray are a pretty good match if you pick up a few more of those Pacemakers. I wanted to make a prototypical train and had a few duplicate road numbers so rather that try and strip the existing numbers just repainted the gray.
Besides decals, CDS made Pacemaker boxcar transfers in both white and black. They show up on the bay from time to time.

More info here if you haven’t seen it.

Pete

·
Premium Member
3,158 Posts
Thank you Pete. I liked the OGR article.

K4 makes a couple sets of Pacemaker decals. I never had luck with dry transfers, but would like to try them again...

Tom

5841 - 5860 of 5889 Posts